travel itenary-feasibility

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming 7 nights in Ireland, is it feasible to travel from Dublin to Galway with stops in Wexford,Kilkenny and Killarney.My thought was to spend 2 nights in Dublin, 1 night each in the general vacinity of Wexford,Kilkenny and Killarney and 2 nights in Galway.If this is not a feasible plan in terms of travel time and sightseeing opportunities, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Billo,

You could base in Dublin two nights (rent your car on the way out of town), Base in Kilkenny two nights, making wexford a daytrip from there, Killarney for two nights and then spend your last night close to the Shannon airport and fly out of Shannon.

If Galway is a must see, then I would do a route such as this :

Two nights in Dublin
Two nights in Galway
Two nights in Tralee, Day trip to the Dingle Peninsula
Last night close to the airport in Shannon.

With only seven days, it is possible to see both Killarney and Galway but you will see Ireland through a windshield and not experience Ireland as you should.

If I knew the time of year that you were considering, I could give you better suggestions for your itinerary.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
www.cowboycraic.com
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

CowboyCraic, time of year is late June.I had a feeling this was an ambitious schedule, based on other comments I've read about the slowness of travel on Irish roads.If you had to concentrate on 1 or 2 areas to see in 7 days, how would you arrange your time? Thanks for any info.
Bill
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM

I too think I would leave Wexford out of the plan. It's headed the wrong way. What time of year are you traveling?

I'm not a huge fan of Tralee, especially when, just 20 minutes up the road is Castlegregory and the Shores Country House.

Killarney itself is a bit too much built for tourism (for me) and gets very crowded in the summer. During the off season, it would be a good choice because there would be more activities. The surrounding area is lovely though. I prefer Kenmare. Personal choice though as some people love Killarney.

Bill
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Billo,

I think that I would concentrate on Dublin, Galway and Dingle.

Take Bill's suggestion on lodging for the Dingle Peninsula. Everyone who has stayed at the Shores has had wonderful things to say about the lodgings and the hosts.

Try to be in Galway somewhere between the 17th - 24th of June as That is when the Galway Sessions happen, www.galwaysessions.com. Check out St. Judes, http://www.westirelandholidays.com/galway/stjudes.htm, which is a B&B close to city centre in Galway. If you are dog friendly, St. Martin's B&B,2 Nun's Island Street,+353 91 56 8286, is a fantatstic B&B, that is not very well known, yet.

Both the Ring of Kerry & Dingle Peninsula have a special beauty. However, Dingle wins out for me because it is more rugged, has dolphin sightings and doesn't seem to be as crowded. Killarney is a stop I make for the National park. However, you could do the Connemara area and spend time there in a National Park, as well, with less traffic.

On your second day in Galway, you could opt for a bus tour of the Connemara region, the one offered by Lally Tours, www.lallytours.co. is my first choice. You could also explore the eatsern side of Co. Galway on a Bus tour with Galway East, www.galwayeast.com. One of its stopping points is one of my favorite parks, Coole Park.

Bill,wojazz,I am sure can give you some great pointers for the Dingle Peninsula.

Enroute to Dingle from Galway, take the coastal road, which will take you through the Burren, stop for lunch in Doolin, take in the Cliffs of Moher, take the Tarbert/Kilmer ferry, www.shannonferries.com and when youleave the Ferry, you will be closer to Dingle by 85 miles than had you driven the entire way.

There you are, a starting point for your planning. Also, checkout Irishyes.com, Michele Erdvig has a terrific guidebook offered there plus a forums page.

Slan Go Foill,

Bit Devine
www.cowboycraic.com