Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

your opinion on the Ireland portion of my itinerary?

Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi y'all -
I've gotten some good feedback on our week in England, but haven't heard anything about the 2nd week of our trip which will be in Ireland. Here's a recap if you didn't see my other post:

Background: We are fit 30-somethings with no kids, used to independent travel; though we travel well together, we have conflicting interests: I prefer gardens, scenery, and history, whilst DH prefers people watching and "city life", so it's always a delicate balancing act for us. DH thinks he'll be fine driving on the left; we have reserved automatic cars in both countries to make things easier. I'm a fairly good navigator and we have Europe maps on our GPS from 2 years ago; hopefully not too out of date. The "worst" thing that will happen is we'll have to ask some nice ol' chap for directions, and make some great unplanned discoveries, right?

So here's a general idea of what we might do each day, but of course we're flexible and often change our plans as we go This exciting trip is scheduled for late May:

Days 1-7: England (London and Cotswolds)
Day 8: drive to Luton, fly (RyanAir) to Kerry, pick up car (Murray's, reserved via AutoEurope), drive to Dingle
Day 9: drive Dingle Peninsula ring, possible boat trip to Blasket Islands
Day 10: visit Killarney Nat'l Park (Torc Waterfall, Muckross House, Ross Castle), OR drive western part of RoK, boat to Skellig Michael? (DH really wants to see puffins)
Day 11: drive to Galway, see Cliffs of Moher (and Burren?) on the way; B&B close to downtown Galway
Day 12: boat to Aran Islands
Day 13: explore Galway OR drive around Connemara (Clifden, Kylemore Abbey)
Day 14: drive to Dublin, stop at Clonmacnoise on the way? Or try to get to Newgrange in time for a tour, possibly Trim Castle after? Drop car at Dublin airport, bus to B&B near St. Stephen's Green.
Day 15: usual Dublin city center tourist traps (Trinity College, Guinness, trad pub crawl)
Day 16: Newgrange/Trim if we didn't make it before, or bus out to Powerscourt Gardens?
Day 17: flight home out of Dublin airport

What do you think? See anything that concerns you - out of order, unreasonable, wasted time, something missing?

Thanks again for all your help! We're so excited about our trip!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM

Head to Killarney for the 1st night and northern ring Skellig before heading up to Dingle for the 2 nights.

Rather than Galway head to Doolin for the Cliffs/Buren and Aran ferries days 11 & 12. with a trip onto the Connamara day 13 overnight in or near Galway.

Other than that it looks ok.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

We're not too keen on one-night stays and try to minimize our hotel moves for less stress; as it is, we're already moving hotels 5 times in 2 weeks. Perhaps we should just let go of RoK/Skellig and relax on Dingle peninsula?

Do you think it's unreasonable to drive from Dingle to Galway and see the Cliffs on the way, then another day ferry to the Aran Islands from Galway?
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM

I think the programme is mostly okay.

DH might get his puffins on the Great Blasket.

I'd certainly tour Connemara in preference to hanging around Galway (but I have a special love of the place).

It would be a shame to miss Clonmacnoise, and routing between Galway and Dublin via both Trim and Newgrange would be something of a PITA. Keep the car for one more day, and visit Newgrange and Trim on day 15. You can also take an hour to see Slane, and climb the hill where St Patrick is supposed to have lit his Pascal fire (monastic remains to be seen there).
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM

I have a well known dislike of the Dingle magnet as even in Dingle town you are an hours drive to get off the peninsular. If you are going to stay south of the Shannon for three days Killarney has more options as a touring base. Then a days drive to Dingle round Slea Head and out via the Connor Pass for the Shannon Tunnel. Take the M/N18 to Galway for a 3 nights base to do the Burren/Cliffs, Arans,Connomara before heading to Dublin
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM

I have a well known dislike for Killarney, so if you are to take Tony's advice, I would saty in Kenmare. I on the other hand, like Dingle very much. You can easily find great trad music in Dingle where as you have to avoid the countless made for tourism music in Killarney. Kenmare has a rather light music scene.

I agree with Padraig on your schedule around Dublin.
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

wojazz and Padraig,
do you think it's worth driving the car into Dublin proper vs. giving it up on the way in (at DUB) and taking a bus back out to Newgrange?

I watched a youtube video of the Skellig Michael stair climb, and there's no way I could handle that (fear of heights)! Maybe we'll see puffins on Blasket or elsewhere (other posters have mentioned seeing them at Conor Pass on the Dingle peninsula and even at the Cliffs of Moher).

As for Dingle, I see its isolation as a point in our trip when we're forced to slow down - I'm afraid if we went to Kenmare we'd be constantly driving some loop or hiking somewhere, and at some point on this trip we need to relax

Thanks so much for all your comments! I can't wait to see Ireland!!
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

to clarify, I meant giving up the car at DUB on the way in, busing to our hotel, then another day taking a bus back out to Newgrange VS. driving our car into Dublin one day, then driving back out of Dublin to newgrange/trim another day.
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:45 AM

If the weather cooperates, I hope you get out to the Blaskets! To me, it was one of the highlights of a trip to Ireland. The peace and sense of history were haunting.

I would take the trip to the Aran Islands from Rosseveal (near Galway) rather than Doolin. the Doolin ferries are weather dependent and take a lot longer than the run from Rosseveal. Also there is only one round trip from Doolin and from Rosseveal there are several trips each day so that you can choose your return early or later.

I agree with Padraig that Clonmacnoise is a special place.