Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Ireland-would love itinerary help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first trip to Ireland in the early fall of 2015. Would love some feedback on our proposed itinerary. I'm not sure if there is any room here for (1) a day trip to the Aran Islands and/0r (2) a day in Southern County Mayo (my great, great grandfather came from there, although I am not aware of any family connections now). Advice appreciated!
Days 1-2 Dublin

Day 3 Wicklow and overnight there

Day 4 Waterford and Kinsale

Day 5 Kenmare

Day 6 ring of Kerry-stay in Kenmare

Day 7 Kenmare

Day 8 Dingle Peninsula-Stay in Doolin

Day 9 Cliffs of Moher-stay in Doolin

Day 10 Galway City

Day 11 Galway City or airport hotel

Am I missing any must-do stops?
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 05:20 AM

I wouldn't stay in Doolin for the Dingle peninsula (wouldn't stay in Dingle either but then I'm not a US tourist. Wouldn't stay in Doolin for Clare either.

I assume Dublin in Shannon out and a hint of a specific guide book?

2 days in Dublin is fine to start with. Drive over Wicklow and Glendalough ending the night in Waterford or Kilkenny. Night 3

From night 3 to Kenmare or Killarney nights 4 & 5. Not sure why Kinsale is in the mix but can be included for a short visit.

I would drive the Dingle peninsula between Kenmare/Killarney and possibly Lahinch but everyone else will tell you Dingle is a must stay the night. so Dingle. night 6

From Dingle up the west Clare coast call at the cliffs drive round Blackhead for the "moonscape" and end in Galway at the end of day 7.

Day 8 the Inis Mor trip from Galway depending on what you call early Fall? so weather dependant (possible high winds late September on)

Day 9 & 10 Connemara maybe Clifden if your dates fit Arts week and where in South Mayo you are interested in.

End with night 11 in Ennis or at the Oakwood arms in Shannon.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 06:05 AM

If you went to Inis Mor the cliffs are so much nicer and so less touristy. You could skip Waterford. I would rather see Cork, Cobh and Kinsale. That would give you more time to see County Mayo.
Tony, think she means after seeing Kerry they would drive to Doolin for the night. If you did that you could see the cliffs of Moher. It doesn't take that long. Park, pay, walk up the road, cliffs and then back in car. I think you would like to see the Poulnabrone Dolmen while in Clare, close to Doolin.
Lahinch is a great place. Thank you Tony! We agree. Great beach.
http://www.aranislandferries.com/times_mor.php

Bigger ferry than the one in Doolin and Inis Mor is beautiful. Just sit more in the back of the boat in the middle, 45 min trip. You can rent bikes or take on of the many van tours when you get off the ferry.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice-I just booked our flights. We will have 11 days total in Ireland-on our 12th day, our flight leaves Dublin at 12: 55 PM. We could not get a flights to or from Shannon. I have looked at the Frommer's and Fodor's guidebooks and on the Rick Steves website.
We are foodies and hope to enjoy good meals, lovely scenery, and traditional Irish music.

So far, we are booked at the Conrad in Dublin for 2 nights and the Marriott Powerscourt for night 3. Hotels so far are free using hotel points-flights for 2 from the US were $345 R/T using frequent flyer miles and an upgrade to a more roomy seat on the flight over.
After doing more reading and in talking to a few friends who have visited Ireland, we are going to skip Waterford. We've heard that Kinsale is a great food town-looks to be about 4 1/2 hours from Wicklow? Would it be best to spend the night there, or just push on through to Kenmare?
I am also thinking that maybe we should stay in Kenmare 2 nights, Dingle 2 nights, Doolin 1 night and Galway 2 nights. Perhaps we would take a boat trip to the Aran Islands on the Way to Galway or take a day trip from Galway to Westport? Looks like it takes 2.5 hours to get from Galway to Dublin on the M6?
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 11:48 AM

We did much of this itinerary in the reverse and I wrote a trip report which still can't be found by searching. That being said, if you want lots of details on this trip we loved, you can refer to:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...h-to-north.cfm

Good luck with the planning!
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kwren-loved reading your trip report! We are from southern NJ-looks like you are in PA?
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 03:33 AM

Yes I'm in PA! Near Harrisburg.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 11:27 AM

Hi Bxianesq-" Kinsale is a great food town"is just a great marketing scheme.There is great food all over Ireland. While Kinsale is a cute little seaport town with some good restaurants, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit.

Susan (also from South Jersey)
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Small world kwren (my son graduated from Dickinson College near Harrisburg and my daughter lived in Harrisburg for a year and a half after college). HMMM-Susan-I will have to mull over Kinsale.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 04:29 AM

I liked Kinsale for walking the village, looking at all the brightly painted houses, boats and we had a good seafood dinner. An afternoon there was all we did and think it was enough.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 02:41 PM

Saving