Travel in Germany

Apr 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Travel in Germany

Planning on a 11 day trip at the end of May. Need to know if the room rates for (Db) cover two people or is there an extra charge for the second guest? Also we are renting a car, looks like Volkswagon Golf or similar. Is there anyway of telling if this car will be diesel or gas without calling then car rental agency in Germany? We are also winging the hotels (as we go booking LOL) so wish us luck. It's our 24th wedding anniversary and the wife is very scared of the food option also (she's Italian).Thanks in advance for any and all advice..
Apr 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM

yes Db covers 2 people. With Auto europe you can request a diesel but they can not guarantee it, not sure what other policies are. You will be fine winging it in May...we did last June early July and had no problems. You will have a great trip, Happy Anniversary!
Apr 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Some of the best Italian food I've ever eaten has been in Germany! But, the German food is also delicious. The pork is as good or better as we have at home.
Apr 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM

The German hotels have rates either for a Doppelzimmer (double room) or for an Einzelzimmer (single room). The rate for the double room is for two guests, usually including breakfast (but check). Sometimes, especially when it comes to arrangements or half or full board, room rates are not per room but per person. Read the hotel's website carefully. For hotel search, I recommend www.hrs.com

When you reserve a car, you reserve a certain class. The VW Gold is just an example, you might get a different car. Usually, the rental car agency has many cars in your booking class to offer, some gas, some diesel. Ask them and make your selection.

Your wife will be satisfied with food. Just avoid the touristy restaurants. American tourists in Germany are crazy for greasy food, we Germans do avoid it. I never eat knuckle of pork. You will find many restaurants with modern, light cuisine. Either use a good guidebook (www.viamichelin.de is also an excellent source) or ask us here on this forum.
Apr 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Echnaton, I think your broad generalization that "American tourists in Germany are crazy for greasy food" is unfair. I also do not believe that ALL Germans avoid knuckle of pork since I have witnessed them eating it. However, I would never eat it myself.
Apr 26th, 2010, 05:42 AM

Actually, I've had some wonderful pork knuckle in Germany--also at my Grandmother's house when she was still alive. Anyway, the part that you actually eat is not fatty at all. The knuckle is surrounded by fat, but the meat inside isn't any more fatty than other parts of the pig. It is a most succulent moist culinary delight! If Germans are avoiding it these days, I feel sorry for them.
Apr 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Due to its cultural diversity, Germany has a multitude of ethnic restaurants to choose from if you don't like German food, but don't count German food out, some of the best (and biggest) salads, tastiest escargots, tenderest asparagus and crispiest flamkuchen (crème fraiche & ham, cheese & onion pizza) I've enjoyed have been "German". Personally not big on their starches, like knodel, spaetzel and gnocci-type dishes, but nothing beats the Bratkartoffeln (roasted potatoes) Yum!

There's a döner-kebab on every other corner, practically, with Italian probably the next most popular in my area, but you can find Chinese, Indian, Morrocan. French is probably the hardest to find in any given town/city. If you aren't a beer drinker (I'm not), try a Radler or Heffeweissen Radler (beer cut with Sprite-type soda...sounds horrible, but is quite the thirst quencher). Or I just opt for their exceptional Reisling.

Enjoy!