Mushrooms in German food

Search

Mushrooms in German food

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mushrooms in German food

Just a quick question - how common are mushrooms in German food? I am allergic to them and so I am always on my guard. I am just wondering if mushrooms will be much of an issue in Germany.

Thank
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM

I don't recall seeing any.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are not uncommon. Pfefferlinge, and chaterelles, are two common types used in sauces in Germany. I think the German word for allergy is virtually the same, pronounced with a hard g (as in get) rather than a soft g (as in gee whiz)
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Some dishes are made with them, but it would say on the menu---mushroom is "Pilz" or sometimes "Champignon". Porcini are Steinpilz, and chantrelles are Pfefferlinge. So watch out for meat dishes or sauces "mit Pilz" or any of the other words.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:10 PM
J62

Not as common as asparagus.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM
J62

mushrooms were noticable on the menu at every fine restaurant I went to recently in Dresden.

If they are listed, you should be able to avoid them. You may have more of an issue if there are mushrooms hidden in the ubiquitous brown sauces found all across Germany.

for example (but not limited to), anything Jaeger art (Hunter style)
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Ask someone to translate a simple statement like, "I am allergic to mushrooms. Which dishes should I avoid?" Or, "I am allergic to mushrooms. Can this dish be prepared without them?" I'd then carry this translation in my wallet and show it at each restaurant.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:50 PM

You only need to order two things in Germany--Bier und Bratwurst. Two perfect foods, and no mushrooms in either of them.

Or is there some warped little town somewhere that puts mushrooms in their Bratwurst (certainly there wouldn't be one that put mushrooms in Bier)?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Rufus, the German purity laws prevent beer from being made from anything but water, grain, yeast, and hops. Used to be you could not sell beer in Germany if it didn't comply with the purity law, but the EU has changed that (something about free trade). However, I feel quite certain that the Belgians probably have a beer made with mushrooms (they use virtually everything else).
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:09 PM
hsv

I agree with others that mushrooms (<i>Pilze</i are frequently included in dishes.

Look out for the word <i>Pilz</i> (not to be mixed up with the word <i> Pil<b>s</b></i>, indicating a brew style for beers) and/or any dish including the word <i>J&auml;ger</i> (Hunter style). It will also include mushrooms.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM

&quot;I am allergic to mushrooms. Which dishes should I avoid?&quot;
Ich bin allergisch gegen Pilze. Welche Gerichte muss ich meiden?

&quot;I am allergic to mushrooms. Can this dish be prepared without them?

Ich bin allergisch gegen Pilze. Kann das Gericht ohne sie zubereitet werden.

Or you could say (first sentence)

Ich darf wegen meiner Allergie auf keinen Fall Pilze oder etwas was Pilze enth&auml;lt essen.

I must not eat mushrooms or something containing mushrooms under any circumstance because I have an allergy
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:26 AM

I am also allergic to mushrooms and have travelled to Germany a number of times. I have never found it to be a problem.

As previously mentioned, learn the word for mushrooms and how to say that you are allergic to mushrooms. As in western menus if a dish contains mushrooms it is usually mentioned in the title and/or description. I just simply avoided ordering things which were more casserole or sauce based in which they might be hidden as they were not considered a principal ingredient.

Of course, how allergic you are to mushrooms also makes a difference. I fortunately don't go into anaphylatic shock or anything like that at the merest hint of them. If I accidentally ate a small morsel of them I would be fine, if is only if I consume a reasonable amount that I get sick (gastro type symptoms).
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Mushrooms are very common.

Avoid dishes with the word &quot;J&auml;ger&quot; (hunter) like &quot;J&auml;gerschnitzel&quot; or &quot;J&auml;gerso&szlig;e&quot; or &quot;J&auml;gerart&quot;. The sauces will be mushrooms sauces.

Many Chinese dishes in Germany contain mushrooms.

The most typical mushrooms in Germany are (in German):
Champignons
Pfifferlinge
Morcheln
Schwammerln (Austrian word for &quot;Pilze&quot
Steinpilze
Austernpilze
Waldpilze
Shi-Take
Mu-Err
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I will definitely print out the translations and keep it with me for reference.

And of course, I can take Rufus' approach and just have beer and brats

Like Shandy, if I eat mushrooms, it wont be disasterous, but it could impact my vacation for a day or so. Something about lacking the necesary digestive enzyme for processing mushrooms.