Search

TRAVEL HELP

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRAVEL HELP

Traveling to Europe in September, arriving in Amsterdam on US Airways. However, I purchased a one way ticket because I don't know for how long I will be there nor do I know the location from where I am returning. I'm sure this is not uncommon, but I have heard that sometimes it is difficult to A) board the flight to Europe AND/OR B) get through immigration at the airport, without having a return flight home. Any information or suggestions from a travel experience is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
R
Old May 18th, 2015, 04:40 PM

Yeah, you may be heading for an intimate date with a TSA agent. Flowers and chocolate may help things go smoother.
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:26 PM

Actually, I think a one way ticket with no idea of a return date is very uncommon. Many years ago, it might have been common, but not now-a-days.

First, two one-way tickets usually, though not always, costs a lot more than a RT or multi-city ticket.
Second, unless they have a visa or citizenship allowing it, most people can't spend more than 90 days in Schengen countries.
Third, few people have unlimited time and funds with no responsibilities or commitments. They have limited travel time, so they plan it. Unless their job pays for travel, they can't afford indefinite travel time.

There are several things you could have done. One was buy a RT ticket with change options, even a RT, multi-city out of the city you might depart from.

My personal experience is that I have never been stopped or asked about my tickets, but that is very likely my age, and other extenuating circumstances.

If you are a young person, you are more likely to be questioned about funds, insurance and travel plans, because they do not want you to become ill and a burden on their medical system or to try to work without proper papers.
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Particularly if you are a young person, they may ask for verification of employment back home and verification of funds to cover the amount of time you are likely to spend away. Health insurance information may also be requested. I would suggest between now and September you try to decide your plans and book your return trip ticket.
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
young person, dressed down, one way ticket,,,, oh dear
Old May 19th, 2015, 02:33 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We learned this year that flying our university-aged son back and forth between the US and Austria requires clever cost-saving flight plans, leaving him on occasion with an open future return ticket while he's flying on another RT flight in between. This has not gone unnoticed by TSA agents as he was leaving the US; his returns to the US, though, have not (yet) raised any questions.
Old May 19th, 2015, 03:05 AM

Are you American? If so, they probably won't check for a return ticket.
Old May 19th, 2015, 03:41 AM

They (whoever " they" might be) have several concerns.

If the airline lets you on and Dutch immigration won't let you into the Netherlands, the airline has to pay to bring you home on the next flight.

The Netherlands won't want to let you in if they have any concern about having to feed and house you. You aren't allowed to work, so they will need to see sufficient assets to cover the costs of your stay. That's a lot easier to do if you have a return ticket home in six weeks than it is if you are planning to stay the six month Schengen limit.

I don't know how tough the Dutch are in situations like this. You would be toast trying to get into the UK without a ticket out of the country.
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:45 AM

Sorry - not eyou get 90 days as an Americantourist in /schengen - 6 months applies only to the UK.

And yes, if you have no return ticket, are young and don't look very prosperous you may be turned back trying to board in the US or trying to enter into the Netherlands.

You should have a return ticket, proof of a reason to return (job, school, rented apt etc) and proof of health insurance coverage. They may not ask but do you want to risk being turned away.
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:29 PM

Entering the Schengen zone is best done with a return ticket

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...therlands.html