Travel from Zurich to Prague to Lljubljana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Zurich, then want to spend a few days in Prague and a few days in Slovenia - Llubljana - How best to get from city to city? Train or plane? Anyone with experience on this itinerary?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM

How much time do you have to cover this real estate? I'd say fly to Prague if you only have a week. If you've got more time, I'd train through Austria or southern Germany on the way to Prague.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:22 AM

Hi roamer,

It depends on how long the train ride is. For me, the train ride has to be more than eight hours long before I'll spend time at a dreary, boring airport. Usually that's about the break-even point for timing. With the transport to the airport, the 2-hour wait at the airport, the flight, the wait for luggage, processing through customs and immigration, and the transport into town, a flight can take about 5-6 hours.

I love train travel -- a nice, relaxing trip through European countryside, a time to people-watch my fellow travellers, and a gorgeous snack. So, a train trip has to be ree-eee-eeeallly long before I would head to the airport.

s
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM

Check whichbudget.com for low cost carriers.
Unless you want to experience a train ride thru the Alps (though not all connections to Prague may use that routing), planes will get the job done much faster.
Even though Switzerland is not part of the Schengen area yet, passport control and customs is not that big of a deal.
Czech Republic and Slovenia are in Schengen, so no passport control/customs on that leg. You may also want to check if you need visa for the Schengen area (can't tell your country of origin from your OP).
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Taking the train from Zürich to Prague is a long day's journey. Your best travel time is over 11 hours.

For Llubljana, you are faced with a 10 hour journey.

Flying is quicker of course.
German Wings has a one change flight from Zürich to Prague. If I wanted to go to Prague from Zürich that is how I would do it.

If you are not locked into a fixed schedule some of the flights are fairly cheap in price, cheaper than the train.