travel from Seville to Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions? I tried Iberia airlines and they are over $400 one way. We are looking for the shortest way, is there a direct train service? Or how long is the drive?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 08:21 PM

You can fly with www.vueling.com via BCN and save a bundle.

You don't give us any dates, so I'm picking Feb. 1 at random and I see

lv SVQ 09:00 ar BCN 10:30 for Euros 26.84 including taxes and fees, then

lv BCN 14:15 ar LIS 15:00 for Euros 59.50

This does not include a booking/credit card fee of E6.95 domestic and E8.95 int'l.

The train is said on a traveler site to take about 15 hours or so. I'm having trouble even seeing a through-service, could be that you have to take a bus to Faro - good luck...

The website of renfe is hopeless, if there is no direct connection it balks instead of showing the long-way-around options.

The Portuguese train site (http://www.cp.pt) shows no train line from Seville to Lisbon, click on Internacional and see for yourself - it goes via Madrid! Or from Faro up the coast, but you have to get there first.

Maybe someone else has done it?

WK
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 03:06 AM

skydog,

Eurolines has daily bus service that takes 6.5 hours (dep. 11:00, arr, 17:30). That should be your cheapest option at EUR 36.

Schedules and tickets (in spanish only) at:
www.eurolines.es

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 03:22 AM

Well, that was not quite correct... Here's a link to the complete schedule info:

http://www.eurolines.es/pdfs/Portugal_05v02.pdf

The service I mentioned isn't direct (there's a change at some highway rest stop) and only runs on weekdays (limited to Mon-Wed June through Sept). There is a direct service as well however: it runs on weekends, plus Thurs and Fri from June through Sept and leaves Seville at 16:00 arriving in Lisbon at 22:15.

Finally, there's a daily red eye service (dep 23:59 arr. 6:30) as well, but I really wouldn't recommend that unless you're on a very tight budget and want to save hotel costs, since the bus makes 9 stops along the way... ugh!

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:50 AM

You don't say when you're going, and that could be crucial. We're doing this route as well in early April and my research shows it can be complicated, but do-able.

We're hoping to take advantage of the service Andre has mentioned, although the spring schedules haven't been confirmed yet.

www.rede-expressos.pt was listing, up until November of 2005, a direct service leaving Mon Wed and Fri (I think) from Seville at 9:30 and arriving in Lisbon at around 14:00, if memory serves. It is possible that it 'disappeared' for the winter season and that it might reappear - keep checking. (The schedule in the reverse direction operated on different days of the week and at slightly different times.) This would be the most convenient and shortest route, if it's available. Aye, there's the rub.

www.damas-sa.es lists a bus to Faro (change in Huelva) or, alternatively at least as far as the border town of Ayamonte (reliably, every day). The Ayamonte option though is a pain. At Ayamonte you must take either a cab across the bridge to Vila Real Santa Antonio (VRSA) in Portugal or the ferry which is a short walk from the bus station according to my sources. Ferries run frequently, but sorry, I don't have the schedule.

Once in VRSA you can take the train or the bus to Faro, and thence onward to Lisbon. www.cp.pt.

Yet another option is to go to Malaga and fly to Lisbon from there. Try Europebyair.com, they were listing flights starting at US99 plus taxes.

The drive is about 5.5 hours according to Michelin. Problem is the dropoff fee.