Travel from Gothenburg to Oslo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife, two kids ages 7 & 8 and I will need to get from Gothenburg, Sweden to Oslo, Norway on a weekday in July 03. Has anyone traveled this route? Is rail the preferred method of travel? Has anyone rented a car and driven to Oslo from Gothenburg?
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:04 AM

Hi<BR><BR>Its an easy drive. I've done it for meetings.<BR>The motorway continues past Uddevalla, and then becomes a well surfaced 2 lane highway. About 50 kms from Oslo the road improves. Its about 250km, but not very interesting (mainly forest).<BR>A weekday in July will not be too busy.<BR><BR>Its easier by train.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:13 AM

Hi,<BR>I have travelled that route a lot of times and I would prefer taking the train. It should be OK to rent a car and drive yourself, the road is quite good, but it can be a lot of traffic in July. There is not much to see along the main road, but there are several small towns and fishing villages which can be interessting to see if you get off the main road(E6). The train takes about 4 hours.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:53 AM

Train is by far the easiest, but driving could be worthwhile as well. Small towns to visit would be:<BR>SWEDEN:<BR>Fiskebackkil - just a small passenger ferry from Lysekil (10 min?)<BR>Smogen - really nice fishing port/tourist area with a mile of rock-coastline perfect for sunbathing.<BR>Fjallbacka - nice village with a short walking path climbing from town centre. If you don't find the entrance - ASK - it's really worthwhile and only takes 20 min.<BR>NORWAY:<BR>Fredrikstad - The old town area with town wall and cobblestones<BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you mpprh, Kaja &amp; Helen for you advice. I think we'll take the train.