Travel Destinations on Scotland's West Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I are planning on renting a car in Inverness and making our way down to Glasgow. We have a total of 3 nights (not including our stay in Inverness or Glasgow). We would like to spend one night on the Isle of Skye, but we really don't know where to focus our other 2 days since there's so much to see. Any suggestions for B and B's, inns, places of interest in those areas? I've also heard that Fort Williams is interesting along with Oban, any comments?
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 09:18 AM

Megs, Fort William is, to be generous, a dump. Avoid.<BR><BR>If you come off Skye on the Mallaig boat and drive round Ardnamurchan, cross Loch Linnhe on the Corran Ferry, give yourself a couple of choices. Either go up Glencoe and then back down to Loch Awe and stay therabouts, or go and stay at the Pierhouse at Port Appin. It's not horribly expensive but the Holly Tree at Kentallen is a good cheaper alternative.<BR><BR>Next day pop in to Oban, but concentrate your day in Kilmartin Glen. Stay overnight somewhere like the Crinan Hotel. <BR><BR>It's a pleasant run over the Rest and be Thankful and down Loch lomond to Glasgow the next day
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 09:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sheila, will you please stop mentioning Kilmartin? Before you know it, the word will get around.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM

You could do a day or two just in Skye. I would also recommend Oban. About 30 miles south of Oban is a wonderful B&amp;B called La Lunga, which is a 15th century manor house. The earl serves you breakfast! It was wonderful! I don't know the normal price, as it was part of my B&amp;B voucher book... his breakfast table is simply covered with every kind of spread for bread you can think of! <BR><BR>
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:43 PM

Sheila has given you great advice - even the Kilmartin bit - sorry Gardyloo <BR><BR>Just want to emphasize what she said about Ft William. You may drive through it (but if you do you will get stuck in a queue behind several tour buses and it will be slow). But DO NOT STOP or stay there. It's main purpose is to house groups in the middle of their Highland tours. it is a small place with more B&amp;Bs than private homes - and not a darn reason to stop.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:58 AM

Some years ago we stayed at the Glenelg Inn and found it charming. Glenelg is on the mainland with views across to Skye. There is a converted landing craft that ferries cars across to Skye, on the two occasions that we used it we were lucky enough to be surrounded by Otters – “Ring of Bright Waters” was based not far from Glenelg.<BR><BR>The Inn is a small establishment with six or seven rooms, old but comfortable and the food was magnificent.<BR><BR>We found Fort Williams a nice spot for lunch, but definitely not worth an overnight stay.<BR><BR>We went in the opposite direction to you, but do e-mail me if you would like my diary.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice....especially the Fort Williams thing! Another question, should we hold onto our car until we leave in Glasgow and return it at the airport, or should we return it in Oban or another city and take a train into Glasgow? Also what is driving like in Glasgow? Is it a difficult city to get around in? <BR><BR>Also our flight leaves fairly early in the morning so would it be wise for us to stay in a hotel close to the airport?<BR><BR>Thanks again everyone for all the great advice!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Oh ya, and Tangata I would love to see your travel diary if you don't mind!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Fort William (no s). <BR><BR>Keep the car. the train run is very pretty, but there are really nice things you'll miss if you do it by train; like Kilmartin and Loch Lomond.<BR><BR>Glasgow's not ahrd to get around in by car. Some of it is in a grid system so a bit like the US. There are only airport hotels near the airport. If that's OK for you, that's where I would stay.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:00 AM

Megs I would be delighted to give you a copy of my diary. But my computer skills have deserted me and I can’t find your e-mail address. Can yo e-mail me at ttangata.hotmail.com?
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I've been reading some of the other postings and someone mentioned Mull. Would this be a better area to visit than Skye? If so, any suggestions as to places to stay and see?<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:38 AM

megs - there are several hotels at the airport. if budget is a concern check out the travel Inn. The location is great, they have &quot;all mod cons&quot;, and a free shuttle (but it is so close you could almost walk to the terminal), and it is very reasonable.<BR><BR>Turn in you car at the airport - it is outside of Glasgow proper and not hard to drive to. Then after you check in to the hotel, you could always take public transport into Glasgow for a look around
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:41 AM

megs - we were posting at the same time so I didn't see your new question.<BR><BR>Both Mull and Skye are wonderful. Many people will recommend Skye (and I love the Isle), but I really enjoye Mull almost more. The short ferry over to Iona and the Abbey, some glorious beaches, and a couple of terrific castles. especially Duart.<BR><BR>But on any trip you cannot see it all - so if you have been planning on Skye, don't change now - it is also wonderful.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Megs,<BR>I agree with the previous comments about Fort William and Oban. After several days on Skye and the scenic drive from Mallaig we were very disappointed when we got to Fort William. <BR>Another great place to stay between Fort William and Oban is Ardsheal House. Beautiful old shooting lodge where you're greeted by the laird in a kilt. If you stay there ask for a room overlooking Loch Linhe.