Reload this Page >

Scottish Highlands Trip Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Diana

Would it be reasonable to drive in one day from Strathblane (north of Glasgow) to the Isle of Skye by way of Loch Lomond, Oban, Ft. William, and Mallaig? How long does it take to drive from Ft. William to Mallaig? As to lodging on Skye, would Eilean Iarmain or Skeabost Country House be a nicer place to stay?<BR><BR>Any recommendations for a town and guest house or small moderately priced inn or hotel in the area a bit northwest of Inverness (Beauly, Muir of Ord. Strathpeffer,etc)? or perhaps somewhere toward Glen Affric?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help,<BR><BR>Diana<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:26 PM
janis

yes - your route is doable. Personally, though I would not go via Oban / Connel. Instead, after Loch Lomomd &gt; Crainlarich I would continue north on the A82 (instead of taking the A85 west) through Glen Coe and on to Ft William &gt; Mallaig.<BR><BR>This would be a faster drive and the sceneray is magnificent including the western edge of Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe.<BR><BR>Both hotels you list are wonderful and both are often fully booked - so pick the one you can get into.<BR><BR>Up north - I love the whole area between Dingwall and Cannich but do not have a specific rec since I usually rent a cottage when I am up there. For convenience for touring around in all directions eithe Beauly or Muir of Ord would be fine.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Sheila

"Would it be reasonable to drive in one day from Strathblane to the Isle of Skye by way of Loch Lomond, Oban, Ft. William, and Mallaig?"<BR><BR>Yes, perfectly doable, but adding in the Oban leg adds 30 not wholly pleasant miles.(ie the guts of an hour)<BR><BR>"How long does it take to drive from Ft. William to Mallaig?"<BR><BR>It's 46 miles of pretty good road- another hour.<BR><BR>"As to lodging on Skye, would Eilean Iarmain or Skeabost Country House be a nicer place to stay?"<BR><BR>In the end it's a matter of taste. I haven't stayed at Skeabost, but it's style is classic Country House Hotel. Eilean Iarmain (I admit my prejudices- possibly my favourite hotel in Scotland) is classy country inn.<BR><BR>"Any recommendations for a town and guest house or small moderately priced inn or hotel in the area a bit northwest of Inverness (Beauly, Muir of Ord. Strathpeffer,etc)or perhaps somewhere toward Glen Affric?<BR>"<BR><BR>The Loval Arms in Beauly gets a good name. I don't think there's anywhere special to stay in Glen Affric. Coul House at Contin is very nice. The Dower House at Muir of Ord has one of the best restaurants north of the Highland Line

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Diana

Thanks, Janis and Sheila, for the suggestions. What should we try to see and do during one day on the Isle of Skye? What route would you suggest for going from Skye to Muir of Ord? (We had already researched The Dower House and after your recommendation will try to stay there!) What would you advise seeing or doing during one day in the Inverness area? We are then staying for two days at Skibo Castle to attend a wedding, then will be travelling to Aberdeen with a stay somewhere along the way, to catch a flight to Dublin. What would be the most scenic or interesting route and how much time should we allow for the drive? And where do you suggest staying en route?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Sheila

Diana I will post from home tonight; but Aberdeen to Dublin? Direct?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:38 AM
adam hayden

Messing about on the internet during working hours, eh sheila?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Sheila

Yes. Want to make something of it?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Diana

Sheila, you had asked about the Aberdenn to Dublin flight and whether it was direct. Yes, on Ryanair for GBP 48.10, including taxes,etc., for two people! We couldn't believe the great price!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Bill

&gt;&gt;"How long does it take to drive from Ft. William to Mallaig?"<BR><BR> It's 46 miles of pretty good road- another hour.&lt;&lt;<BR><BR>The last part of that drive from about 10 miles east of Arisaig to about 5 miles north of Arisaig is very narrow and "twisty". That should be and will be very slow going. Be careful, the locals warn people about driving that road too fast.<BR><BR>By the way, the Traigh golf course is near the end of that trip and has one of the most spectacular settings you can imagine. It's a little nine hole that has just enough "tests" to keep you very interested.<BR><BR>Bill<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:59 AM
janis

"What should we try to see and do during one day on the Isle of Skye?" There is so much to see but with one day you'll have to pick just a few things. If it is a fair day NUMBER 1 should be a drive around the Totternish penninsula north of Portree. It has the most amazing scenery with wild rock formations, waterfalls into the sea, Flora MacDonalds house, Duntulm Castle, views acroos to the outer Hebrides, etc. Then there is Dunvegan Castle - a wonderful garden too, Talisker distillery and Glen Brittle. You could probably get to all of these in one day. But you'd be missing the Cullins,and Elgol. But you just don't have time to see everything. <BR><BR>"What route would you suggest for going from Skye to Muir of Ord?" You really have two choices and both are wonderful. 1) from Kyle of Lochalsh through Plockton, up glen Caron and then through Contin to Muir. 2) Kyle to glen Morriston to Invermoriston on Lochness, visit urquhart Cattle and then the A833 from near Drumnadrochit to Beauly to Muir. the 1st is more "wild" and very scenic, the 2nd is also good and you would have a chance to see the best part of Loch Ness.<BR><BR>"What would you advise seeing or doing during one day in the Inverness area?" Since you are going north later from there you could visit areas right near Inverness on that one day -- Culloden, Clava Cairns, Fort George, Glamis Castle.<BR><BR>"What would be the most scenic or interesting route and how much time should we allow for the drive? And where do you suggest staying en route?" Can't really tell you the drive time from Skibo to Aberdeen sinnce it ENTIRELY depends on how many places you stop to visit. You could make the drive in one day or take a week. But I would go via Elgin (Cathedral), Dufftown (Glenfiddich Distillery), Huntly (fabulous castle and Gordon Arms hotel - which would be a great place to break your journey), and the any number of castles between Huntly and Aberdeen (Leith Hall, Kildrummy, Castle Fraser, etc.)

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Sheila

Skye is mostly about scenery, although it has its share of history too. Great things to do include seeing the Cuillin; taking a boat trip from Elgol to see the seals; wandering round Portree; visiting the Quiraing; visiting the Clan Macdonald Centre; seeing the fairy flag at Dunvegan; go to the Talisker distillery; take in the atmosphere at the Sligachan Hotel; go to the Colbost Folk Museum (mainly because it’s a black house; go to Flora Macdonald’s grave; hire bikes; go pony trekking; see eagles; climb mountains. Another great place to eat is the Three Chimneys. My favourite place to stay on Skye is Hotel Eilean Iarmain on the Sleat peninsula, about 16 miles from the bridge. It has a great restaurant and is also only a few miles from Lady Macdonald’s place (Kinloch Castle) which also does great food.<BR><BR>Skye to Muir of Ord? Choices are limited. If the deal is to get there, then drive across the bridge and take the A87 to Balmamcara (stop at Dornie to see Eilean Donan) then the A890 to Stromeferry, Strathcarron, Achnasheen, and Garve then the A835 to Conon Bridge then south along the A862 to Muir of Ord. that won't take long- hour to hour and a half. If you're taking the whole day then you could go round the Applecross peninsula, and/or all the way up to Ullapool, or south through Kintail in the shadow of the 5 sisters to Cluanie and go up Glen Moriston to Invermoriston where you hang a right and up Loch Ness.They're all wonderful.<BR><BR>Now, as I may have mentioned before, Inverness is not my favourite town to visit. It’s not got much to recommend itself except its setting. Worth having alook at the cathedral in Elgin. Very good shopping (but expensive) at Johnston’s of Elgin-cashmere a speciality. There are Brodie and Cawdor castles. Brodie is a lovely little gem and has attached a place called Brodie Counytryfare, which is worth a shopping browse round. Cawdor is most famous for its Macbeth connection (“Hail Macbeth…”and all that). You should stop at Culloden to see the battlefield which is very special. Nearby are the Clava Cairns, a prehistoric site of renown. You will have passed the fort built at Ardersier to keep the revolting Scots down. Acquaint yourself with the prophesies of the Brahan seer and then count the bridges (spooky) ove the Ness in Inverness. On the north bank of the river thee's a very good visitor centre. You can sometimes see the Moray Firth dolphins from the gardens there. And the Red Kites on the Black Isle have CCTV links to the information centre. On Loch Ness, stop at Castle Urquhart, and Drumnadrochit. Buy your Nessie tee-shirt here. If you haven’t seen the movie, make sure you do. <BR><BR>Skibo? Any relation to Madonna? <BR><BR>Aberdeen- drop in, why don't you?<BR><BR>On that route, which is easily daobale in a day, you should choose between the mountains and the sea. If the sea, then follow the mainroad down as fat as Focahabers then take the coast road round past Fraserburgh. I always think Nairn is a but mumsie (or wifie, as my hairdresser said yesterday-I fear she was talking about me), but it is well amenitied.<BR><BR>If the mountains go down to aviemore and east through Nethy Bridge (nice place to stay) and over the mountains to Donside and in to Aberdeen.<BR><BR>hope this helps.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Tony Hughes

Sheila/ Janis,<BR><BR>your opinion of huntly?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Sheila

It is know in the households of my friends as "the oxter"<BR><BR>Can you do supper, Monday or Tuesday?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Bill

Well I'm not Sheila or Janis, but Huntly wasn'y my favorite. It's in a pretty serious state of ruin. If it were me, I would drive down to Dunnotar on the coast. Spectacular setting just south of Stonehaven. If you are staying anywhere near then, I satyed at the Woodston Fishing Station B&B outside of St Cyrus. Strange name, but it's not really a fishing station. It sits on a cliff overlooking the North Sea. You can follow the trail down to an almost deserted beach. Never mind that the rooms are not ensuite...This is my favorite B&B of all time. I would go that way just to stay there.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Sheila

Me too, Bill ("oxter" is Scots for "armpit")<BR><BR>Did you see Dunnottar in Polanski's Hamlet?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:40 PM
janis

Well every friend I have ever taken to that part of the country (from Yanks to Dorset men to Londoners) have all found Dunnottar their #1 favorite (but it really isn't on the route from Skibo to Aberdeen so I didn't mention it) and their #4 is Huntly (after #2 Craigievar, and #3 Crathes mainly for the gardens). Each has really loved Huntly because one can climb all over and under it - sort of like a mini-Linlithgow. A ruin but with very few blocked off areas so you can really explore. <BR><BR>I am curious why Sheila and Bill don't like it?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:55 AM
bill

Janis: It's wasn't that I didn't like it, it just wasn't my favorite. I think Eilean Donan was my favorite, if for no other reason than the setting. I thought Dunnotar was a much more impressive ruin and the setting is spectacular. Of course Sterling was great and Castle Campbell in Dollar was fun too. Quite a walk because we took a different trail back which we later found out didn't lead to the lot we were in. Oh yeah, then there is Edinburgh.<BR><BR>I haven't seen Polanski's Hamlet yet.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Sheila

I'm going to "take the Fifth" (it's too close to home)<BR><BR>Also, I must have ben having a brain storm last night. It's Zeffirelli's Hamlet- not Polanski!!<BR><BR>Anyone who wants a great photo should have a look at <BR>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square...dunnottar.html

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:26 AM
janis

Bill: All of the castles you mention are also really great - but in different areas and not on the Skibo-Aberdeen itinerary Diana was asking about.<BR><BR>My faves for castle and ruins are (the exact order changes depending on factors such as weather etc.): Dunnottar, Kilchurn, Stirling, Edinburgh, Dirleton, Tantallon, Castle Campbell, Doune (before they blocked off the roof walk), Eilean Donan (but it is the setting - the castle itself in not much to write home about), Duart, Linlithgow, Blackness, Inchmahome Priory and Dryburgh Abbey.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Diana

The information has been great! Thanks so much Sheila, Janis and Bill.<BR><BR>Based on what you have said, we now plan to stay for two nights on the Isle of Skye, hopefully at Eilean Iarmain (have just e-mailed a request). As much as we would love to go from the Glasgow area to Skye by way of the Corran ferry and Strontian (as per your recommendation in another thread, Sheila), we feel that we will still be a bit weary from the transatlantic flight the day before so will opt for the Ft. William to Mallaig route. Since we will be staying on the southeastern side of the Island, we plan to spend the next day making the big loop through Portree, around the Trotternish Peninsula, to Dunvegan and the Talisker Distillery, fitting in anything else that we can along the way. And either the day we arrive or before we leave on the third day we hope to see the Cuillin Hills and/or Elgol.<BR><BR>Our new plan is to drive directly from Skye to Skibo, leaving by way of the bridge, seeing Eilean Donan, then going to Skibo by way of whichever of the several suggested routes fits in best with the time we have available that day.<BR> Regarding the routing from Skibo to Aberdeen, we will probably go to Culloden, Brodie, maybe Cawdor, Elgin Cathedral, then south to the Royal Deeside area, perhaps staying in Ballater at Balgonie House. Is anyone familiar with that? And after going through Dufftown what route should we take to Ballater? Or are we planning too long a trip for one day and should we instead stay in Huntly as Janis suggested and skip the Royal Deside area?<BR><BR>Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -