From Oban to Mull or Skye?

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Oban to Mull or Skye?

First of all, I am extraordinarily impressed by the quality of responses I read on this site. You folks are wonderfully helpful.

At the end of July I am bringing my family of 6 (all above 16 years old) to Scotland for our first vacation there. We hope to stay at the Isle of Eriska Hotel in Oban and spend two days sightseeing in the area, then drive to Edinburgh. We plan to spend one day driving up to see the Loch Ness area, and another day exploring either the Isle of Skye or the Isle of Mull. Mull is obviously closer to Oban, but is it worth the longer drive to Skye? If so, should we drive through Kyle of Lochalsh and over the bridge, or take a ferry from Mallaig? Thank you for helping a stranger to the area.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 08:45 AM

I'm certainly not putting down Mull, but Skye is well worth it. But I don't know that you have the time - I would suggest it would probably require an overnigh in that area to get the most out of it.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Go to Mull. Stay at the Ambleside B&B in Tobermory, the best B&B I have ever stayed in and take a day trip to the island of Iona. Incredible!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:43 AM

I'd drop both Mull & Loch Ness in favour of time on Skye.The bridge is faster.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:33 AM

I'd recommend Skye too, and you should do the loop if you have time (this is a day trip, yes? Some of don't think of Loch Ness and being "in the area" of Oban. Go north to Corran and cross Loch Linnhe on the ferry, then drive round Ardnamurchan and up to Arisaig and out to Mallaig to get the ferry. Then half way up the Sleat peninsula there's a tiny road that crosses to the north (turn left at the Clan Donald Centre) and just follow the road round- when you breach the top of the ridge prepare for one of the most wonderful views in the world. The road loops back to the Sleat road again. You don't NEED to do any more of Skye but you could if you've got time. Cross back over the bridge and go south through Kintail and down to Fort William and home
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

You folks are so helpful. Sheila, I have read many of your postings and am thoroughly impressed.

After reading your responses, I'm wondering if we should skip Oban and stay a little further north -- perhaps in Ft. William or Invergarry. I really want my family to experience the Highlands and am now very excited about Skye. I want to spend a day on Skye and a friend told me of a nice drive/hike trip between Drumnadrochit and Glen Affric. Any thoughts on the right places to stay or drive so that we don't have to change hotels every day? Thank you so much.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:27 AM

BigRig Your two picks are about right. Fort William is a dive and about the only reason for staying there would be the prospect of a night at the Inverlochy Castle Hotel. Waay beyond my budget, but then so's the Isle of Eriska.

The Invergarry Hotel is meant to be very pleasant. I haven't stayed there, but it's on my list.

Arisaig House is similar in style and budget to the Isle of Eriska, and you might like to try it- although it takes you further away from the Central Highlands. The same is true of Glenfinnan House, although it's slightly more downmarket.

If you wanted to try something more Bohemian, you could go for a night at the Applecross Inn and do Torridon one day and south to Skye the next. The views are excellent and the food is too. And you have the joy of driving over the Beallach nam Bo.

Or just go to Skye. Stay at the Eilean Iarmain if you do.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

The Isle of Eriska would be a very painful stretch for my budget also(240-290 GBP per room per night) and Inverlochy Castle is untouchable (435 GBP per room per night). Arisaig House seems to have closed if I am looking at the right website: http://www.arisaighouse.co.uk/

Maybe I should take a page from other postings and consider Ballaculish, or Kentallen (Ardsheal House or The Holly Tree?), or even Glenelg. Thoughts? Thanks.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 11:45 AM

Look at the Invergarry. It gets a great name.

The Holly Tree is OK, but ordinary. The Glenelg Inn is good, I think. Great location. I've only ever been there in winter when it was closed.

I know people who've stayed at Ardsheal and like it a lot. You're not that much further north than the Isle of Eriska tho'.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on the Glengarry Castle versus Invergarry Hotel? (Sorry to ask such silly questions)
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:56 PM

Invergarry Hotel. Great reputation.