Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

travel company employees--is looming war stopping people from planning overseas travel?

Search

travel company employees--is looming war stopping people from planning overseas travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:18 AM
wondering

Obviously, I'm from the US. As industry insiders, what are your observations? Are bookings of flights and European travels way down for the near future (next couple of months) because of the political situation? We are still thinking of a trip in a month or so, but haven't made any plane reservations partially because we are stull following the news.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:39 AM
YES!!!

Certainly. Travel and all aspects of our economy are threatened because of an administration who hangs war over our heads and the heads of the entire world. Travel is down, and I personally will not be traveling this summer for the first time in 24 years.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Belinda

So I wonder if this might mean reduced airfares and hotel rates.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Caro

Belinda:<BR><BR>It won't necessarily reduce hotel rates, because Europeans tend to rather spend their holidays in Europe than going to the US.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:47 PM
pierre

I'm going to London next month. I just bought my ticket on BA. I'm a little worried (mostly out of sheer paranoia)that if war breaks out this terrorist network might retaliate by hijacking planes or something like that. I guess this fear is why BA was having this great sale.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:46 PM
edna

As a travel agent specializing in high end travel in a major midwestern city, let me say that our European sales are almost double from any year in the past (the best being 2000). More and more our customers are booking individual hotels and air fares rather than package tours, but the sales have been amazing. What war???