Travel between Provence and Dordogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a Saturday in late May we plan to leave Lourmarin and head for Figeac. The Michelin route planner recommends a route which will take us past Mallemort and Nimes and then on to Figeac via Millau and Rodez. This I understand is a scenic drive ... at least in part. Michelin indicates it will take 5 hours.

After spending a couple of weeks in Dordogne, we leave Sarlat for Aix. Michelin recommends a route which passes Gourdon and Toulouse and continues along the autoroute. It indicates this will take 5 hours 40 minutes. We want to get there as quickly as possible, don't mind that it's not scenic and will stop for a couple of short breaks which will probably add another hour to the suggested time.

Do these times sound reasonable? I know there are posters who are familiar with travel in these areas and would really appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM

We drive the suggested route of Michelin often and find it very accurate. Leave an hour to stop at the Millau bridge. This is such an interesting area with a small museum and an overlook. Also, don't miss driving to the area under the bridge. It's a site you won't soon forget!

Figeac's market is wonderful, as is the village! It's a beautiful area. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Yes, those times are accurate.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Images2 and StCirq. We're really looking forward to the drive to Figeac and seeing the bridge and scenery enroute. If the Figeac market is on Sunday then we'll be able to take it in ... love the markets in France. We plan to stay overnight and then continue on to Peche Merle before driving to Sarlat. I'm glad to hear the times are accurate ... we'll plan accordingly. Do you have any suggestions for B&B's in Figeac or Aix and how far in advance we will need to book?
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM

NLspirit, the Figeac market is on Saturday But it's still a lovely town to visit.

You can go to the Tuesday market in Le Bugue, though
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM

NLSpirit,

We were in Figeac last summer, a wonderful town, great market. We had a surprisingly wonderful lunch at a small place called Del Portel. It looks almost like a pizzeria, but has great salads and the world's best chocolate mousse. It took 3 of us to finish off just 1 desert. Hope you have a great time.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Be aware that all the shops will be closed on Sunday in Figeac (except food oriented shops). However, the shopping is not that great anyway. Interesting town. Get the walking guide (in English) from the tourist office when you first arrive.

Follow the Cele river to get to Peche Merle - I think it is more scenic than the Lot.

Rodez didn't do much for us - we visited it 3 times. Not nearly as interesting as Lourmarin, Aix, Figeac, or Sarlat.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq, Jobo and StuDudley It's because of comments and suggestions like yours that I am able to plan our trip. We've been to France several times and love Lourmarin and the Luberon area. We haven't yet visited Dordogne and are looking forward to it very much. Consequently we haven't followed this route to Figeac. I've been quietly 'lurking' in the background, reading your informative posts and planning our trip. I will indeed keep the Le Bugue market in mind as well as the salads and chocolate mousse at Del Portel. Following the Cele River to Peche Merle is also a great tip. Thank you for sharing.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Do you have my 20+ page itinerary for the Dordogne? I also have one for Provence (27 pages). If you woulld like one, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach them to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figeac? Hope you don't mind feral cats walking atop the tables in your outdoor cafe. We did. The staff didn't.

If only those kitties would have used paw sanitizer after coming out of the alley.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Stu. That's very kind of you. I often see you offer your itineraries to other posters and will email shortly.

tomboy ... I chuckled when I read your comment. We've had similar experiences in several European, South American and Asian countries ... once at a luxury spa in Portugal. A few years ago when we were on the patio of a popular restaurant in Buoux, an old, blind cat wandered from table to table crying for food. It was fed by the patrons, most of whom were local residents. I couldn't resist either I'm afraid. When in Rome.... However, sanitizer and wipes do come in handy though, for us I mean!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Here's a couple of ideas for B&B's in Aix since you asked:

1) Maison Carlotta http://www.lamaisondecarlotta.com/ - beautiful place, perfect location right in the center of the Old Town, delightful host and quite reasonable for Aix.

2) Le Clos des Freres Gris http://freres.gris.free.fr/index.htm - which is very pretty as well. Just outside of Aix, so more of a "country" location. Great hosts (she's American, he's French).

Sorry, can't help with Figeac.

-Kevin
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kevin. Both B&B's come highly recommended on Trip Advisor too. I'll check them out.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 06:13 AM

NLspirit,

The big market in Rodez is on Saturday. It's an interesting one in a diamond-shaped main place. There isn't all that much to Rodez, but what there is, I'm fond of. It hasn't been gussied up much like a lot of other towns.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 07:06 AM

>>The big market in Rodez is on Saturday.<<

morning. Can't see how you could get to this market before it starts to close up - unless you left Lourmarin by 6 am.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

StCirq... thanks for the suggestion of the Rodez market. It's always nice to visit markets that don't necessarily cater to tourists. From reading some of your posts I believe you live in Dordogne part of the year (?) and know the area very well. However I think we'll pass this trip because I doubt we'll arrive in time. Thanks again.

StuDudley... I've read your itineraries of Provence and Dordogne. They are well written, interesting to read and contain lots of practical suggestions to questions the average traveler has. And, of course, it's a great service to posters on this forum. Thank you so much.

As our departure date approaches I may have additional questions and look forward to getting more ideas on this forum. It truly is a great help.