Transportation/single traveler

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation/single traveler

I am planning a trip to Amsterdam/Belgium(Brussels) next fall and I am wondering about transportation. I know that I want to take the train round trip from Ams to Bel but will I use the train any more than that? I will be there for about 2 weeks and I noticed that they have a rail pass for 15 days for $800 us dollars. That's a lot of money for a pas if I won't use it. Would it be cheaper to buy tickets as needed? I noticed that a round trip ticket is $180. What about transportation from the AMS airport to my hotel?

I am also wondering about saftey. I am a single female traveler who really want's to take this trip but is a little nervous about going alone.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Hi mspattym,

Some very intrepid, solo, female travelers frequent the Fodor's boards. Hopefully, several will reply here.

I think it is something to do with attitude. I have been on solo driving trips in the US up to 6 hours from home. My "comfort zone" is more 3 hours, but I did do the 6 hour trip .. with my hands locked on the steering wheel, I admit!

So I think it is making a "comfort zone" in your mind that extends outward. Why shouldn't we travel alone, after all?!

I am taking another solo trip next April .. ah, haven't mentioned to hubby yet, but he won't fuss, just grimace .. it is money that I work very hard to save that is paying the trip! He has no interest in travel, just likes me to point out how I have done my planning and a list of all my contact information.

Wrap your mind around going alone, read up on being an alert traveler, and love the fact that you are not waiting (and waiting!) for anyone to join you!

Cheers!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM

There's some threads on solo travel in the smart travel tips forum. I echo scotlib's thoughts on solo travel.

Don't buy the train pass. You won't be traveling enough for it to be of benefit to you.

While in Belgium you should see Bruges and other places outside Brussels.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Another thought .. before my solo trip this year to Edinburgh, I watched several videos. I think I would do more watching when traveling to another location.

I travel to places I know so much more comfortably than a new location, seems obvious, eh?

It is more relaxing to spot something from a video and feel recognition than a constant bombardment of new, new, new! Rather overwhelming at times.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM

There's no reason to be hesitant at all about spending time alone in europe. I often add a few days alone on before or after business trips - and always enjoy them.

Need to know more about your plans before it's possible to figure out if you need a rail pass. Typically you have to use it a LOT before it pays for itself.

Are you doing 2 weeks in just Ams and Brussels. I'm a fan of slow travel - but frankly I think you'll be bored.

I would add Paris for about 5 days - or else do a bunch of smaller towns (Bruge, Ghent and some day trips from Amsterdam).
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I am still planning but am looking at Bruge and other small towns outside Amsterdam as well. This is my first time to Europe so I am not sure what to expect. I went to Japan last year and I felt that I saw a lot but with better planning could have seen more. I just don't want to be in a situation where I have to pay hundreds of dollars to get out of it.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Solo travel can be very exciting but it's different. You're forced to do things alone that many people find difficult like eating dinner in a restaurant. I travel both alone and w/friends when one can join me. There are times when I get a little lonely, but mostly I really like that it is only me I have to please. No compromises!

Brugge is a wonderful town and very safe. I wouldn't miss it if you're in the region. (Antwerp is worth a stop too, but I'd skip Brussels) If you are a Van Gough fan, take a day trip out to Arnhem to see the Kroller-Muller museum. It is in a beautiful park in a wonderful building and of course has many Van Gough's (Of course there's the Van Gough Museum in Amsterdam as well.) Another great town in the region is Mastricht in the southern part of the Netherlands.

Overall the Netherlands and Belgium are really easy countries to start your European travels in. Most people will speak English and transportation is easy. Schicpol Airport is one the best in Europe and there's a train station right in the airport to take you into Amsterdam. It's super easy. As far as the pass goes I too doubt it will be worth it. Plan your train trips and add up the cost of the individual tickets vs. a pass. Finally...There are lots of ways to meet fellow solo travelers. One of the best is taking different tours such as an evening bike tour of Amsterdam or a walking tour of a neighborhood. Have fun!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM
ira

Hi Ms,

You needn't worry about traveling alone.

"No" is "nein" or "non".

Train schedules and prices are at
http://www.ns.nl for the Netherlands and
http://www.b-rail.be/main/index.html for Belgium.

I doubt that you will need a railpass.

Do visit Bruges.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
yk

1) You won't need a rail pass.

2) No need to worry about traveling alone as a female. I went to Amsterdam and Brussels alone when I was only 21; and have been back to Amsterdam alone once more, plus Belgium alone twice.

See this thread (compilation of solo travel trip reports
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35084942

And my 2 trip reports on Amsterdam and Belgium:
--------------------
Author: yk
Date: 03/07/2008, 05:46 pm
I have done lots of solo trips to Western Europe.

London, Brussels, Amsterdam in May 2005
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34626323

London, Belgium in Jan 2006
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34738595
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM

You will find many great day trip destinations both in NL and BE.

In the Netherlands, I would have (besides what has been said already) Delft and Gouda on my list. Also lesser known towns (from a tourist's perspective) like Zwolle, Utrecht, or s'Hertogenbosch are very nice. If you have an interest in modern architecture (or in Dutch life beyond cute canal houses), try Rotterdam.

I also think that individual tickets will be a better option.

Re. language..
I'd stick to "nee" instead of "nein" in NL and Flanders
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I would not dismiss a railpass out of hand though i would any $800 pass

I would consider only the Benelux Pass, good for travel in Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands and the Benelux-France Pass, good in those 4 countries - if just going Amsterdam to Brussels and back you would not want a a pass but if going to Bruges and other places - 2 weeks is a long time in these small countries - or going to Paris, etc. then investigate the passes. As usual i always refer to two superb sites for info on trains in these countries and passes - sites that give more than the usual pass prices and an add to cart button - www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - the latter lets you download their excellent European Planning & Rail Guide that has a good chapter on Benenlux train and places to go. www.ns.nl will have prices for Amsterdam to Brussels trains. www.thalys.com for Amsterdam or Brussels to Paris trains.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Mspatty, in the past 40 years or so I have traveled many times on my own, and it was wonderful. I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Of course, when things went wrong or I got lost, there was no one else to blame, also no one to blame me for the mess up. I have had lots of encounters with locals and other travelers that I might not have had whe with others. People seem to approach someone on her own rather than a pair or group (and I don't mean that in a bad way.) Never once felt unsafe!

$800 seems a bit much for a pass. IME, it is better to buy as you go.

Don't be discouraged by those who say two weeks is too long for Brussels and Amsterdam. I have done that several times and found plenty to keep me busy (lots of new things each trip.)

Brussels has quite a bit on its own and is a good hub for train trips to other cities. But it is a bustling city place and you might prefer a smaller place in which to base yourself.

I have stayed in Amsterdam a couple of times and loved it. On my last Netherlands stay, I spent 10 days in Haarlem and found that city a delight. It is a ten minute train (trains go frequently) ride from Amsterdam and seemed quieter. Spent a few days in Am. exploring and revisiting, but the rest of the time took day trips by train, which run frequently, on time, and reasonably.

I also took a day trip or two with tours run by the tourist office right outside the Central Station in Amsterdam. They were reasonable and informative. On one of them I met a young couple from South Africa and we met up the next day for supper.

It was great to be settled into one place for a week or so without repacking and moving every few days. I liked the feeling that I was returning to "my" neighborhood at the end of each day.

Perhaps, if you think a week in each place might be too much, you might consider 5 days in each of 3 places.

So in your planning, if you have more specific questions, come back here. There are many of us who have favorite places in these countries.

Have no fear, plan away, go, enjoy!

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Add me to the chorus of single travelers. I went on my first single trip in June (to France) and had a great time.

The only disadvantages were dining (I don't like eating alone when I'm on vacation.) and almost no opportunity to have involved conversations as my French is limited. Do be prepared to be in situations where no one else speaks English. I don't know about Amsterdam and Belgium, but I found that France is populated by French people who speak French, not English.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in Amsterdam solo for a week. I got from the airport to my hotel using the Connexxion hotel shuttle bus service (I think it was around $10 but that was a few years ago now). It's waiting right there outside the airport, no need to prearrange.

You can also go by train, but for a 1st timer, and somewhat timid solo traveler, I'd suggest you do what I did.

To feel safest in Amsterdam, I highly recommend staying somewhere away from "central" around the train station, red light district, etc. It's so much prettier out around the Leidseplein and Vondelpark areas, but still very convenient.

You don't need a train pass of any sort for the amount of travel you mention.

I've been to Europe 5 times, with parts of each trip spent solo... feel free to ask any specifics.

Also do check on the "Smart Tips" forum and search key word 'solo'. There used to be a nice "Solo Travelers" branch, but Fodor's got rid of it and mixed the posts in with all the other general topics.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Yes i also advise not staying in the city centre in the environs of the train station or red-light district where it's noisy - the area around Vondel Park is very very nice and sedate, opposed to the brash city centre, which also has quite a few sleazy characters running around
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you soooo much for all your input. Reading the posts is getting me even more excited about going. I will definately look into all your suggestions, thanks again!!