chris

transportation question

I would love to hear anyone's suggestions on the best way to get from:
1) Rome airport to spanish steps area
2) Florence train stop to Duomo area
3) Venice train stop to San Marco area
4) Milan train stop to city center
5) Milan city center to Linate airport
I am looking for the most economical way, but convenience will win out over budget. Thanks for any help!

Mar 6th, 2002, 08:29 AM
ellen

Obviously, you can take a cab in all cases, but I'm assuming you don't want to do that. From Fiumicino, there are shuttles but if you want to go on your own, there is train service from the airport to Termini Station in Rome. From there, you could either cab it or take the subway to the Spanish Steps area.

Mar 6th, 2002, 08:36 AM
GAC

1) Non-stop Express train to Termini Train Station (32 mins.), and underground metropolitana to Spanish Steps (Spagna) station.
2) You can walk in 15 minutes
3) Vaporetto no. 1, 52 or 82
4) Metropolitana underground to Piazza Duomo
5) Metropolitana underground to Stazione Centrale, and airporter bus from there to Linate (30 mins.)

Mar 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
elaine

Hi Chris
Convenience for some of those will mean taxis or car services, taking into account how manageable your luggage is.
In Rome I had a euroservice car and driver meet me at the arrivals terminal.
It was great, and a pleasant ride in.
Last fall it cost about $50.
Rome airport website www.adr.it/en/fiumic/fiumic-00.html
I understand that the train station at the airport is just outside the terminal at the Departure level. That train can take you directly to Termini station in Rome; from there you could take the metro or a taxi.
The Florence train station is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Duomo, but that doesn't account for toting luggage. A taxi will cost you a few dollars--less than ten, I think I recall.
From the Venice train station, you can take a vaporetto to the San Marco stop.
I think it's the #82. You can check for details at www.actv.it
In any case when you arrive at the Venice train station (and it's wonderful stepping outside of that train station for the first time in Venice) there are plenty of people to ask about which vaporetto (water bus) to get onto.
Your hotel in Venice can also suggest the best route, including walking from the boat stop.

Apr 18th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Could someone give me walking directions from Termini to the Spanish Steps?

I am staying at the Colonna:
Piazza Montecitorio 12, Rome, 00186

Hotel is supposed to be near Spanish steps and only about a mile from Termini.

I will be taking the express train from FCO at about nine o'clock.

I thought it would be easier to walk than to figure out how to buy a Metro ticket after a long flight (Bos) or to find the right kind of taxi and communicate in Italian.

Also, I could walk a mile in the time it would take to accomplish the above.

I have walked pulling one suitcase in NYC. Is it pretty much the same in Rome...crowded sidewalks, but you can do it?

Advice?

This is my first time in Rome. I am going to learn a little Italian (car CD rom) but do not expect to be proficient, obviously.

I will be in Rome for a week late June, early July.

Thank you.

Apr 18th, 2005, 08:15 PM

You could walk, but it is really easy to either take the metro or the taxi (or probably the bus, although I don't know the number). You will be able to find a shop in Termini that sells these tickets (I know there's one on the lower level). There's nothing to worry about in this respect.

But if you really want to walk, go to http://www.mappy.it/ and enter your two addresses, and then select Pedestrian.

I posted a thread a while ago about how to cross the street in Rome, and got lots of replies about the fearsomeness of it and various tips for doing so, but I really didn't have any problems.
Apr 19th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Thanks for link to walking directions. That is one of the thing I have been looking for.

I definitely will not walk, as I emailed the hotel and they said about 2 miles, not 1 as I had thought.

I may just get an airport to hotel shuttle arriving as I will be tired.

I might try the express train going home.

Thanks!
Apr 19th, 2005, 08:10 PM

No -

Sidewalks in Rome are nothing like New York. They are crowded - but they also tend to be much more narrow than in NYC and also frequently uneven - sometimes cobblestones.

Also, there are few traffic lights in Rome - so crossing the steet is mostly a matter of playing chicken with the traffic (cars will stop for you if you walk in front of them - but if you don;t step right out you'll never get across).

I would not reco trying to walk such a long distance pulling luggage behind you - esp right after an overnight flight.