Transportation Gatwick to Hackney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am completely confused about best way to get from Gatwick Airport to our apartment on Kingsland in Hackney. Express trains go to Victoria bus station yet the Transport for London website says the Victoria line trains won't stop at the Victoria station from Dec 22 till Jan. When I google car services there are so many it is impossible to know if they are legit. We arrive Dec 22 and leave the 31 and there are 5 of us. Also, in general with 5 people should we buy Oyster cards for traveling around the city or take cabs(can 5 get in a cab?) Thanks, Kay
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM

For Gatwick to Hackney:

many posters recommend Just Airports: http://justairports.com/

For day-to day transport:

I think buses and the tube would be better than taxis (except x-mas & boxing day?), but I don't know the best way to load the Oyster cards for a family of five. The tfl site should have this information, including x-mas closure dates. Someone here will be able to give you bettter advice about this, though.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Hmm, quite a tricky one.
First, why are you staying in Kingsland Road? Do you have the postcode?
Next, from Gatwick get the Gatwick Express to Victoria. Or Southern Trains which will be cheaper. There is a difference between Victoria train station (where you will arrive from Gatwick) and Victoria bus station (which you probably won't use).
Then from Victoria you can get a 38 bus to Hackney. If you are feeling flush ( or tired) get a taxi. Give the taxi driver your address and he will take you there. It will take about 40 mintues from Victoria.
And I'm sure there are car services that will take you there from Gatwick. People here will direct you to ones they have used. Yes, they are legit.
Oyster cards will get you about on buses and the underground. There is no underground station in Hackney. Depending on where in Kingsland Road you are staying, your nearest underground station will be Liverpool St or Highbury and Islington. Buses are the way to go in Hackney.
There will be public transport on all days you are there except for 25/26 December.
I'll leave the others to be more helpful. Hope this has started you off OK.

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Victoria Line is the TUBE line and has nothing to do w/ the trains from LGW. Victoria Coach station also has nothing to do w/ the trains.

So - now what to do. Do NOT take a car service. Sure, w/ 5 it won't be very expensive per person. But it will take <u>forever</u> to travel in from LGW by road - especially during the morning commute.

What I'd do is take the First Capitol Connect train from LGW to Farringdon and then a Taxi from there. If you have a lot of luggage you might have to catch two taxis.

There is no reason to go anywhere near Victoria.

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;it will take forever to travel in from LGW by road - especially during the morning commute&lt;&lt;&lt;

But is rush hour as much of a concern on Saturdays? They are arriving on the 22nd...
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM

There's no such street as &quot;Kingsland&quot;. Getting to Kingsland Road is different from getting to Kingsland High St, and if you're vague about where you're staying, you really can't expect useful advice from others.

Both, however, are inconvenient for the tube, needing a bus to Highbury, Old St or Liverpool St, depending on where you are. Your flat might be handy for the Dalston Kingsland station (input E8 2JS into Google Maps) on the North London Overground, where Oystercards are valid, though I'd try a sample journey on it before planning to use it much. In daylight, it's jolly handy for getting to Hampstead Heath or Kew, but for most other purposes a 38 bus to Highbury will be your standard lifeline.

I really wouldn't try to get a taxi - or rather in your case, two taxis, since you can't get 5 grownups into one taxi - outside Farringdon station on a Saturday morning, because you'll wait all day. Get a car (specify for five plus luggage) from justairports all the way from Gatwick. On a pre-Christmas Saturday morning, it'll be quicker than public transport. It MIGHT be pricier, and if that matters get First Capital Connect to St Pancras and taxis from there.

You don't load Oystercards for a family of five: you buy five Oystercards. Again, finding two taxis every day is going to be tricky, so assume you'll be using buses a lot. Hackney is some distance from most places tourists visit, and cab fares will rack up alarmingly if you depend on them. Personally I'd hire a car for a week: traffic is exceptionally light between Christmas and New Year, and trudging back to Hackney at least once a day will feel seriously dispiriting after a while.

On Christmas Day, taxis are your only option and will cost a fortune. If you're at the southern end of Kingsland Rd, you're in reasonably easy walking distance of most of the City, and I'd forget about mechanised transport completely that day. Just marvel at having the place to yourselves.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:14 PM

OOPS - yes the 22nd is a Sat. But even so - driving will take a looooong time. LGW is more than 30 miles south of London. It will take at least 60 minutes and probably closer to 90 minutes.

Being a weekend, there won't be any commuters on the train so lots of space for the luggage.

Car services make sense from LHR - but seldom do from LGW. This is one situation where a car service makes some sense - 5 people and on a weekend. But IMHO taking the train is better. It would be faster and cost about the same or probably a bit less than driving.

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM

I was posting the same time as flanner. Now - realizing we are talking about a Sat, I agree a taxi from Farringdon would be tough. I'd take the train to St Pancras - no problems getting a cab there.

Or - his suggestion of just renting a car for the week would bear consideration. (That would just about be a first on here. Recommending driving in central London - but this is a unique situation. The quietest week of the year AND staying in an inconvenient area.)
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. To Gertie-we are on Kingsland road E2, 8DD if that helps and my son's friend who is loaning us his apt says it is near the northline old tubestreet station.He is unavailable for further info. Highly unlikely to rent a car (bad experience on our last trip!) Another question- is it feasible to go to Westminster Abbey for Christmas Eve or Day services-crowded, how early to get there, etc. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:33 AM

You likely mean Old Street tube stop on the Northern Line. Which means you could transfer from the Frist Capital train at St Pancras to the northern line at Kings Cross/St Pancras tube stop. Its a 5 min walk through the statio.

We stayed at friends in Hackney on the Islington border and that was our tube stop. We still had to take a bus from there though to get to our friends place. Hope this helps!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:49 AM

In fact, your apt is in a very fashionable area, somewhere I'd be glad to stay! My son used to live just round the corner. It is not remotely touristy, you are in the area where young arty/studenty types live. There are small galleries, wine bars, cutting-edge restaurants around which come and go with such frequency that I can't suggest any as I was last there 2 months ago!
You can walk to Liverpool St station or Old Street....Old Street on the northern line is less convenient. A lot of buses go into either the City (the business district but also the area with lots of old churches,in fact the oldest part of London) or the West End (Westminster Abbey, shopping, theatres, most museums). Just go to the bus stop at Old Street tube and you will see where they all go. Or look at http://www.tfl.gov.uk in advance. You can put in start and end points and see which is the best route.
Go to any tube station and get Oyster cards...one each. They are cheaper and very convenient for hopping on and off buses and tubes. I think the basic charge is &pound;3 then you load them with however much you will need. You can top them up at any tube station when you need to. There are a lot of comments about Oysters on this board.
No idea about Westminster Abbey services, google it!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:54 AM

You will be here:
http://tinyurl.com/2f2n8r

This is where Shoreditch High St joins Kingsland Rd, and is some way from tube stations. These are your local bus options:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ditch-2438.pdf

There are two buses that take you to Old St station on the Northern Line, but more to take you to Liverpool St, which is on several lines.

For your arrival, the closest transport from Gatwick is the First Capital Connect train that goes to St Pancras International, as janisj suggests. This train also stops at Blackfriars, and theoretically you could get bus 388 from there, but that would be a bit of a hassle for five people with luggage.

Here are the Christmas services for Westminster Abbey:
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/worship/article/32704

Nobody moves on Christmas Day unless they have their own transport or can afford to organise hire cars (minicabs) or taxis in advance at great expense. One possibility for you would be a brisk walk down to Christ Church Spitalfields, which has recently been beautifully restored: http://www.ccspitalfields.org/whatson
or within a few minutes walk is St Leonard's Shoreditch.

You are also right on top of Columbia Road market, which is a plant and gardening market on Sunday mornings, and an institution. Also on Sundays are markets on Brick Lane, Spitalfields and Petticoat Lane, all within a good walk or a short bus ride.

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:14 AM

You should try and get to see the pantomime at the Hackney Empire. This is the only thing lthat would pursuade me to go to Hackney.

The panto at the Empire is one of the best around. This year It's dick Whittington and his Cat:

http://www.hackneyempire.co.uk/show_...s.php?show=104

I can't recommend this highly enough. It's a quintessentially British thing - no one else does it.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Now we know you are at the very bottom of Kingsland Rd - it will be an interesting area. Besides the other info above, you are just down the road from the Geffrey Museum. One of my favorites in London.

Christmas day is a problem because you will be pretty much limited to things w/i walking distance. And if the weather is bad, your &quot;walking distance&quot; may be pretty short.

Unless you go to St Leonard's on Christmas Day, I'd plan on attending church on Christmas Eve. And fairly early in the day because transport will end before midnight services do.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:59 AM

The Geffrye traditionally does a display of Christmas decoration appropriate to each of the historic periods of its different rooms, which is well worth a visit:

http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:02 AM

sheesh - can't believe I spelled it wrong. (I do know better)
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone who responded-we are excited about the trip and will bring our walking shoes.