Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Gatwick to Victoria Station

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:02 PM
David

What is the most economical way to get from Gatwick airport to Victoria Station? I know of Gatwick Express, are there other ways?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:38 PM
gogoellen

Ok...don't kn ow the answer to your question but we rode the express a few weeks ago. I just remember asking my hubby "Did I just pay $4.00 for a cup of coffee?" So...be warned. Other than that it was a nice trip.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Gregory

Hi David,

There is also Connex South Central which works out slightly cheaper (£1 difference perhaps on a single journey). They take maybe 5 mniutes longer as they wii stop at East Croydon and/or Clapham Junction.
Some of the trains are of the older "slam door "type and can be awkwards to load a large amount of luggage.

Regards
Gregory

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:51 AM
tom

The Gatwick Express is fast, cheap and designed for travelers. There really isn't a better way to get to Victoria.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Ben

It really depends on how many people & how much luggage. We had 4 people & several bags & took a black cab from Gatwick to our hotel near Victoria. It was between 50-75 pounds total for all of us. The driver was very good at telling us about the sights & after seeing people struggle with luggage on trains & tubes I was glad we did it. We were tired from the trip & didn't need to hassle with transportation.