Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Way from Gatwick to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive on Saturday, June 23 around 12:00pm at Gatwick. We are a family of 4 (2 teenage girls). I anticipate having at least 4 large suitcases and a couple of smaller ones as we are finishing our 13 day trip in Italy. Staying in London 3 days before heading back to Los Angeles.

Is it a complete hassle to take Gatwick Express to Victoria station with all the luggage? Once we get to Victoria what do we do then? Should we just hire a car company to take us?

Any advice is grealy appreciated!!!

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM

We have taken National Express from Gatwick in to London, and luggage was not a problem as the bus had a huge storage compartment underneath. I think that Gatwick Express is faster, and I imagine they have the same luggage storage capacity. Once you get to Victoria Station, you will probably want to take a taxi to your hotel. I wouldn't want to take the tube with your luggage. Enjoy!
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM

You can probably make a few bucks by riding Southern Trains instead of the GX. They have an off-peak deal called DaySave that allows four to travel for £20. The trip to Victoria takes five minutes longer than the GX.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=122
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM

We took the Gatwick Express with our teenaged daughter last March. There is a 4-for-2 deal where 4 adults (over age 15) traveling together pay for just two tickets. You buy this at the ticket window for the Gatwick Express.

At Victoria we caught a cab. The line was fairly long, but the cabs did keep coming. We travel light, however, so taking our suitcases on and off of transportation was not a huge deal. So, here comes a packing light lecture! I would recommend 21 or 22" suitcases. All four of us (including two teenaged daughters) have fit our things into suitcases of that size for 14 day trips to cold and snowy Central Europe in the winter. We also each bring a folding nylon duffel that we use as we accumulate purchases.

You can use a car service, and many people swear by them, but you will be subject to the traffic on the roads, which is avoided by using the trains.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Gatwick express and then a cab is the only reasonable way when you have lots of luggage. You may even need 2 cabs!! (4 people + 4 large suitcases) You could take the tube from Victoria St. , but not with lots of luggage. Good luck
Going back you can check your luggage at the airline counters @ Victoria st. and take the train again (without luggage)
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 02:05 AM

What airline counters at Victoria Station?