Transportation for Milan/CT/Lake Como Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my itinerary and transportation plans for my trip in late June/early July

Day 1 (thurs): Arrive Milan (MXP) 8am. TRAIN to Cinque Terre
Day 2 (fri): CT
Day 3 (sat): CT
Day 4 (sun): CT
Day 5 (mon): Pick up car in Genoa, DRIVE to Lake Como
Day 6 (tues): Lake Como
Day 7 (wed): Lake Como
Day 8 (thurs): Lake Como, DRIVE to Milan, drop off car in the afternoon/evening
Day 9 (fri): Taxi to airport (staying at the Westin), Flight departs Milan 8am

Does this sound like the best way to get around? I don't expect to drive in Lake Como, but I figure it may be easier or cheaper to just keep the car so we can get to Milan.

A few questions about the train/car:
-Do I need to book the train in advance? What website should I use? I went to Italiarail.com but didn't see any trains from the airport - do I need to go into the city first?
-What car rental company should I use? Autoeurope?
-Should i buy car rental insurance or just rely on the insurance on my AMEX?
-Should I pick up the car at the Genoa airport or just somewhere downtown? Any specific locations?
-Should I keep the car until the last morning so I can just drive to the airport instead? I figured a taxi would be less stressful/easier
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Take the Malpensa Shuttle Bus from Malpensa to Milano Centrale where you will get the train to CT.

Research tickets at this site:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

Many find it difficult to make purchases at the above site. You can wait to buy tickets until you arrive in Italy.

You will be required to buy the car insurance--it is required in Italy.

If you don't plan to drive at Lake Como, I'm not sure why you are renting a car at all. . . just to get from CT to Como?
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Hi TJ - I agree with Ellen. As you don't plan to drive in the Lake Como area, you really don't need a car at all for this itinerary.

Steve

P.S. You can find details on the Malpensa Shuttle Bus at:

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM
ira

Hi tj,

To get between Como and the CT (whether from La Spezia, Monterosso or Genova) by train you have to go through Milan.

Trains to Como leave from Milan Cadorna. Trains to the CT leave from Milan Centrale.

I think that there is shuttle bus service between the two stations.

I agree that you don't need a car.

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:15 AM

ira wrote: "Trains to Como leave from Milan Cadorna. Trains to the CT leave from Milan Centrale."

To be more precise about a train route from CT to Lake Como:
To get between the CT and Lake Como by train you have to go through Milan.
Trains from CT arrive at Milano Centrale.
Trains to THE CITY OF Como leave from Milan Cadorna.
Trains to Varenna-Esino, mid-lake on Lake Como and a short ferry ride from Bellagio, leave from Milan Centrale.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM

There are also trains to Como (- Como S. Giovanni) from Milano Centrale - so if the connection time is good that will be a convenient option.

Como S.G is a short bus (- or taxi) ride from the lakefront at Como.

Steve
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To the OP: Where on Lake Como are you staying? Have you made reservations yet? Your mid-week timing is a little less problemmatic, but you're still talking about high season.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM

Malpensa to Milano:

"MXP-Milano Centrale" shuttle bus (recommended)
"MXP-Milano Cadorna" train (www.lenord.it) (not recommended, wrong station to continue onto CT)

Milano-Lake Como (not sure where in Lake Como you are heading):

"Milano Centrale - Varenna-Esino" (www.trenitalia.com). Recommended if you are heading to Varenna or Bellagio or Menaggio (mid lake towns.)
"Milano Centrale - Como S. Giovanni" (www.trenitalia.com). Ok if you are heading to the city of Como. CT to Milano train (www.trenitalia.com) arrives in Milano Centrale.
"Milano Cadorna - Como Lago" (www.lenord.it). Not recommended since the train from CT (www.trenitalia.com) arrives in Milano Centrale.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM

Ira, Ira, Ira: You have never been to Como, Milan, or the CT.

WHY are you posting (misinformation) about transport links between these places?

Why would you offer an opinion about having a car if you have never been there?

Here again I am singing my usual song to you! Stick to responding about things you know!

PLEASE!!!
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

wow - thanks for all the replies! but now i'm also a bit confused. here's my itinerary with a little more detail. ... it sounds like i should not rent a car at all. I talked to a friend and they said i don't need a car in CT or Como, so it was more for flexibility in getting around.

June 25 - July 3
Day 1 (thurs): Arrive Milan (MXP) 8:10am. Travel to Cinque Terre: Vernazza (staying 4 nights at www.giannifranzi.it but open to other suggestions)
Day 2 (fri): CT, visit various villages
Day 3 (sat): CT, day trip to Pisa?
Day 4 (sun): CT
Day 5 (mon): Travel to Lake Como, staying at Hotel Villa Cipressi 3 nights (but also open to suggestions)
Day 6 (tues): Lake Como
Day 7 (wed): Lake Como
Day 8 (thurs): Lake Como, Travel to Milan, staying at Westin
Day 9 (fri): Taxi to airport, Flight departs Milan 8am

I guess my big question at this point is - do I need to purchase these train tickets now? Or will I be safe just getting them there in Italy?
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM

You do not need to purchase these tickets now. You can purchase all of them at the same time when you reach Italy. You are traveling popular routes with frequent trains--tickets have little chance of selling out. Also some of your routes are on local trains for which reservations are not a possibility in any case.

Your hotel at Lake Como is actually in Varenna, so the train from Milano Centrale to Varenna-Esino would be perfect for you.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't rent a car. I don't see any advantage in your current itinerary. In fact, the journeys from CT to Varenna and Varenna to Milan would probably take longer by car when you add in the time to get to the first rental agency, do the paperwork and then later getting to the second agency to return the car. You do not want to drive into Milan.

Assuming you drop the rental car idea, buy your Varenna to Milan train ticket when you purchase the CT to Varenna ticket. The train station at Varenna is unmanned, and I haven't heard any recent reports of working ticket machines there. It is possible to buy train tickets in Varenna, but it's just easier to already have them.

The Hotel Villa Cipressi has wonderful views of the lake and beautiful gardens. Be aware that you'll hear the church bells from very early in the morning until late at night at a minimum. (I'm not sure about during the night.) That wouldn't work for me, but others might find it part of the town's charm.

We've stayed a couple of times at the Hotel du Lac in Varenna which is closer to the ferry dock and IMO in a quieter location. The hotel's common areas are not as "grand" as the Villa Cipressi, and there are no gardens, but the du Lac has a lovely outdoor terrace.

http://www.albergodulac.com/english.html
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Makes sense so far. What train do I take to get to Cinque Terre (Vernazza)?

Is it Milano Centrale to Monterrosso al Mare, and then take a local train to Vernazza?
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:50 AM

TJ - From Milano Centrale you will normally have to change at Genova P.P and Sestri for Vernazza.

For details see:
http://tinyurl.com/3eeyzn

N.B. Timetables change next month - so re-check before you depart.

Hope this helps ...

Steve