Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transportation for 11 people between Milan ~ Bellagio ~ Tuscany ~ Venice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 11 Texans going to Italy the end of September. We arrive in Milan on different flights ~ different times. We are headed to Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio for 3 nights. We don't need cars around Lake Como. We are then heading to Lupinari (in Bucine) which is about 40 miles south of Florence. Obviously, there we would like 3/4 automobiles. Then we are headed to Venice. Althought we do not use a car in Venice, some of our folks depart back to USA from Milan. They probably should take train from Venice to Milan (for return flights).

The Bellagio hotel can arrange transportation picking us up late afternoon and then returning us to Milan 3 days later for 700 euros. Trying to decide, for example, if we should rent cars when we arrive in Milan and keep cars until we drop cars in Venice (or Florence if we take train from there to Venice). Alternatively, does anybody know how much a taxi would be from Milan to Bellagio (and then 3 days later take other cabs back to pick up rent cars in Milan OR cabs back to Milan and train to Florence where we would pick up rental cars).

Also, how far is it appx. from Bellagio to Florence? Good train schedules between Bellagio and Florence.

Would love to have your thoughts and any idea how much taxi would be from Milan to Bellagio.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM

For Lake Como - one additional option is the private bus company - Lario Bus. They have a website. The way that I understand it, a taxi taxi Malpensa to Bellagio is 150 - 200 euro. With a late arrival, I can see your interest in priavte arrangements, but private arangements might be optional for when y'all leave.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have used David Guerrera in the Milan/Lake Como areas. He gave us lower quote than our Bellagio offered us. Check him out. Very responsive and will reconfirm with you the a day before.www.davideguerrera.com.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM

We used Bestviaggi.com from the airport in Milan to Hotel Belvedere a few years ago for six people. I didn't keep the receipt, so can't exactly quote the cost, but would highly recommend them. We were picked up in an 8-passenger van.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM

You do not want a car until after Florence. We too have used David and I would get a quote from him--you do not want to drive to Bellagio. The option is to train to Como and take the lake ferry from there or hire a taxi. I would want door to door service since the hotel is way up above town.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Davide was much less expensive than others in the area.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
For the return, I would catch the train in Varenna (you can ferry from Bellagio). The train from Varenna to Milan Centrale is 5.10€ 2nd cl and 7.65€ 1st cl and travel time is one hour. At Milan Centrale, catch an AV train (fast train) to Florence (70€ 1st cl or 52€ 2nd cl - 2nd is fine for such a short trip) and travel time is 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on train.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Rent 2 vans or 3 smaller cars. You'll save money AND have the freedom to explore the beautiful country . There's no question. Go to http://www.viamichelin.com/ You can input your departure, and destination information and get the exact cost in fuel and tolls and fab maps. You will have to park your car in the lot while in Venice, or drop it off there and re-rent for the trip back to Malpensa, Milan airport. The train to the airport is a big pain- lots of changes. Add up your train fares for 11 people . And have you dragged luggage on and off those trains? Or waited around the train station for your departures? It's much easier to drive and drop the car at the airport. And if you have people to share the cost, it's worth it! Make sure you have someone with you that can read a map!! Great trip... and stop off at Soave on your way to Venice.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM

I haven't used this service myself, but this appears to be Malpensa to Como bus, 25euro per passenger
http://www.autostradale.it/#