Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

train or car from Milan airport to Bellagio/Lake Como?

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is easier? I know parking is tough in Bellagio. Can you take the train directly from the airport? How far is it from there?
Thank you

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I assume by 'airport' you mean Milano Malpensa.

Trains that go to Lake Como start from Milan. One option goes to the city of Como (about an hour). From Como you could take a boat or bus to Bellagio, another hour or two of travel depending on speed of boat. Another popular option to reach the mid-lake area is a train to Varenna (about 1.5 hours), which is just across the lake from Bellagio, a 10-15-minute ferry ride.

There is a train at Malpensa airport that goes to Milan, but not to Milano Centrale where you catch the trains to Como and Varenna. However, there is an express bus from Malpensa that you can take directly to Centrale. (45 mins-1 hour)

You can take the train from the airport part way to Milan, getting off in Saronno. There I believe you can connect to the train coming from Milan that will arrive in the city of Como, where you can connect to boats or a ubus as mentioned.

Finally there is a bus that goes directly from Malpensa to the city of Como. It only runs a few times a day, but depending on your arrival time it might work for you.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Ellenem has sumarized the various possibilities nicely I think.

I would NOT take a car to Bellagio where you'll probably end up leaving it parked the whole time you are there.

If you insist on doing so, however, you might want to drive up the East side of the lake to Varenna and take the ferry over from there.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you for the great rundown. It sounds like a lot of work with all of my luggage if I don't have a car. I think I'll check with the hotel to see if they have parking in Bellagio and decide from there. We might also do a day trip from there in the car so it would be nice to have.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I did the bus to Milan, train to Varenna, ferry to Bellagio, with a disabled person. We each had a 22-inch rolling bag and smaller bag strapped on top. We managed it fine.

I think the best day trips from Bellagio are made by boat. I wouldn't consider a car in Bellagio myself. If I had a car, I'd try Varenna or Mennaggio instead--easier car access.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks for another opinion. I will be arriving at the airport at 5:30 pm so by the time I get my luggage, etc. it will be at least 6-6:30. I read that the last ferry at Bellagion is at 7:10 pm which we will miss. So I guess that leaves me with the option of the bus or car. Wow, is parking really that bad there? Is it a little better in the evening when I will be arriving? If I find a space is it possible to leave the car there for a day or two or do you need to keep moving it? There are no lots where you can pay to keep your car?