Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Transport suggestions from airport to city

Transport suggestions from airport to city

Oct 25th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Laura

Transport suggestions from airport to city

I read that a taxi from the airport to our hotel in Paris could be pricey and that you should plan your transport ahead of time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Laura

Oct 25th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Doug

Laura, tis is one of the most asked questions on this forum so there should be many suggestions if you do a search. From your question I get the impression that you have a strict budget. If that is the case take the RER and metro which are inexpensive and efficient. The next option is to take the airline buses or shuttle buses that have predetermined routes. Next in price would be the minivans that p/u at hotels (outbound) and drop off (inbound) for around 15 euro per person ( two travelling). The last I used was called World Shuttle and could be arranged ahead of time by phone. Most people seem to suggest these vans as a reasonable alternative to taxis ( especially large parties).

Oct 26th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Rex

While I agree with Doug thatthis questions gets often, I'm not sure hedirected you to be ble to find these asnwers. I recommend searching "Parishuttle". It is highly recommended (I haven't used it personally) - - and it gets mentioned in almost every question about CDG-Paris transfers.

A lot depends on how many of you are ther - - and your adeptness with taking public transport, fully laden with luggage.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 26th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Taxis are convenient and not OVERLY expensive if you have several people and baggage to deal with. Expect to pay anywhere from $35-$50 (U.S. $ equivalent) to get from the airport to your Paris hotel, depending on traffic, destination and other variables. Several lower cost alternatives exist, but you should be thinking about them when you pack.

For less than $10, the Air France bus will take to you to any of several points in downtown Paris where you can pick up a taxi, the metro (or if you're lucky, nothing but your feet) to get to your final destination. You can pick up this bus right outside the terminal at the first door, as you exit customs. KLM used to run a bus that would drop you off at your hotel, but I understand they discontinued it.

A very low cost, efficient alternative is to take the RER Line B3, for around 7.60 Euros. (If you're landing at Terminal 1, You can grab the free ADP shuttle from the lower level to get over to Terminal 2, where the RER station is located.) The RER doesn't get stuck in traffic and conveniently links right into the Paris Metro system. That said, remember not to bring along things that will kill you on the stairs if this is to be your choice. You simply don't want more than you can conveniently and securely control.

A final, very inexpensive option to the airport from the Nation metro/RER station is the 351 bus, which stops right out in front of the Quick restaurant on the Nation circle, just a door or two down from Le Dalou brasserie. These buses depart 3-4 times per hour during peak periods.

Generally, when I'm by myself I travel light and I take either the RER or the Air France bus -- although for Montmartre, which is in the northern reaches of the city, a cab isn't too bad even for one. With other people along and baggage, the cost per head comes into play for alternatives and I consider a cab to be a small luxury that is worth its price.

I've never used the shuttle services, but some people here like it, as Rex points out.

Oct 26th, 2002, 07:14 AM
jamie

Ive tried the shuttle twice and was more than satified on both occasions.
you can probably find lots of info on the search function.
we reserved direct with mark who runs parishuttle & gave us a small reduction which we used to tip the driver.
the address was [email protected]

we used the airfrance bus once which was fine but we had to get a taxi from the station afterwards to the hotel so it worked out longer & more expensive than the shuttle

Oct 26th, 2002, 11:26 AM
toppers

to the top

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Mike

We were loaded with baggage so we opted out of the busses, metro & trains(most metro stations do not have elevators or even escalators). Incoming we called the Paris Shuttle (www.parisshuttle.com)(I think). There was a long delay to pick ups up but not a major one. We had a delightful comparion sitting with us (American living in Paris) so we learned a few things. When we reached the Hotel (7th) the bill was 30E.
I asked how much notice did they need for the return trip and was told just to call when we were ready. NOT SO!
I called the morning we were leaving at 0600. Did not open until 0700. at 0700 was told that it was impossible to get a connection to be at CDG by 1030. Finally, after I tried all the numbers I could find and walked to the taxi stand -- no taxi. Finally about 0830 the lovely lady at the reception desk at our hotel (Hotel Derby Effiel) managed to get us a taxi that cost us a little over 50E. However, he was direct, swift and an excellent driver. We were to CDG with time to spare (non-refundable tickets). Problem solved thanks to our lovely receptionest at the hotel.

Mike (have a wonderful trip)

Search this Thread