Transport/London to Windsor

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Barbara

Transport/London to Windsor

Making our first trip to London next month--we are a middle aged couple with a 70 year old Mom in tow. From my research, it looks as though getting from London to Windsor Castle on our own is relatively easy--is it? I am wondering if I need to book transport like a tour from our hotel or something. The problem with that is I really don't like being on someone else's time schedule. On the other hand, I also don't relish the idea of spending a day lost on a London train. We are staying in South Kensington area. Any comments? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Geoff Hamer

There are two routes by train from London to Windsor. Trains go from Paddington station to Slough where you change for Windsor & Eton Central station, and from Waterloo station directly to Windsor & Eton Riverside station. On both lines, trains are about every half hour, so you can go and come back whenever you like. From South Kensington, the easiest route is probably by taking the District Line (part of the Underground) to Richmond (it's the end of the line so it's easy to find the right train); Richmond is a stop on the line from Waterloo to Windsor.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:14 AM
jetset

Barbara:
When we went to Windsor two years ago from London, we took the Evans Tour and the hotel receptionist arranged for it; it was a half-day tour to visit the castle and the town of Windsor. The town itself was beautiful but half day was not enough therefore doing it on your own would be the best thing to do if time is no problem. Do your research by checking some guide books - Windsor is not that far from London and a "must see".
I would definitely like to go back there and explore more!
Happy travels!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:40 PM
topping

topping

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Maurice

It's a few blocks from the Waterloo train to the castle - moderate uphill. Probably more walking inside the castle itself.

Look at pictures in the guidebooks. Like Edinburgh and Stirling, the castle is built on a sloping hill. The top is probably about 50 to 100 feet above the bottom end.

Very nice place!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:57 AM
sue

I was in London last Spring, staying in So. Kensington and went to Windsor Castle on my own. Couldn't have been easier. I would suggest taking the train from Paddington station, because the station it goes to in Windsor is right across the street from the Castle. The station that the train from Waterloo goes to is further away -- about a 10 minute walk. Even though you have to change trains in Slough when you take the train from Paddington, Slough is the only stop the train makes, it is a tiny little station, and you just have to get off one train and walk up the stairs to the other track and get on the next train -- everyone else on the train is going to Windsor too so you can just follow the crowd. There is no way you can get lost! In the morning, you need to take the tube to the Paddington tube station and then follow the signs from there to the Paddington train station, right next door. Ask for return (round trip) tickets. The train leaves about every 30 minutes, so you don't need reservations ahead of time. The trains return from Windsor about every 30 min. too and your ticket is good for any train that same day -- you just stay as long as you want and go back to the train station when you are ready to leave. (When you get to the Windsor station in the morning you could check the return times in the afternoon if you want to try and time it so you don't get there just as one train is leaving.) You will have a great time!