Translate into Greek?

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Translate into Greek?

I would really like to have the phrase "This is what life is for" engraved into my fiance's wedding ring in Greek... but I have found two different translations online using babelfish.altavista.com & www.translatum.gr and I don't know which one is correct! Can somebody please help me?

Thank you so very much!
Renee
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:27 PM

I can't help with the translation but I can warn you not to engrave anything as important as that with anything you get free on the internet.

Get a professional translator for this. You don't really want to find out five years into your marriage that your spouse is wearing a ring that says "I suck chicken toes," do you?
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:39 PM
rex

Despite my penchant for pedantry, I'm not sure that I have the right English/educational credentials (compared to some here) to tell you this... but I'll say it anyway. Translation is always difficult, but it's esepcially difficult to translate something from your native language that isn't grammatically corrct to start with!

And as much as I understand, and endorse the sentiment, it will translate more clearly, if expressed more clearly... what is the "This" - - do you mean "this ring" (seems unlikely)... the wedding? marriage? I suspect you mean something that goes into words awkwardly at best... "this" refers to the transformation... from two separate lives, the becoming of one new life, shared together, through marriage.

But I digress... and so far, haven't helped you at all (and can't - - I learned few thn a few dozen words of Greek, thirty years ago).

Still, I can't help but thinking that there is a resource in your life (or his?) that can give you far better guidance than strangers on a website (for something as important as this). Is he Greek? Are you marrying into his Greek faith? Wouldn't someone in your family or his be a better resource for you on this? (and if not, why the engraving in Greek?)

If it's as simple as you plan to marry in Greece (because you just like that idea, or some other reason along these lines) - - then I would seek out a native-born Greek teacher, or any of various Greek (language)-oriented websites - - for example, I think that www.hellenism.com will connect you to various resources of Greek language/culture-promoting Americans.

Whatever your decision, congratulations on your new life in marriage... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM

I'd agree with finding someone who knows Greek better than an online translator, you must know someone. I might prefer a slightly different sentiment, but don't agree with Rex that it is complicated or unusual to use "this" as a demonstrative pronoun. It is a common thing to do in all the languages I have studied, and easy to translate, if that's what you really want to say.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM
rex

Wasn't claiming that there is/was an error using "this" as the (pronoun) subject of the sentence. The error is ending the sentence in "for".
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM
rex

So, I still didn't clarify what I was trying to say about "this"...

Not grammatically wrong... but unclear...

What is the "this"?
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM

I'd call up an Orthodox priest in town and get some help from him.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM

I'm assuming you want Modern Greek. If you mean ancient, call up a classics professor at whatever college is nearest to you. Either way, I'm sure the person would be happy to help you find just the right phrase.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Renee,
go to www.proz.com. It's a website for professional translators but you can ask your question and get answers from professionals not from a computer. I hang on there from time to time, but not for greek.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:57 PM

by the way, it's free.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM

I visit Greece frequently - for several months each year. If you would like me to ask a couple of friends e mail me. [email protected] If you are not in a hurry, I am visiting Greece in 2 weeks and can ask a priest or teacher for you.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:43 AM

Renee,

www.translatum.gr didn't return anything for your search. It simply says that nothing was found for your search.

Babelfish is close, but I would go with the following.

In mixed case:

Γι'αυτο ειναι η ζωη

Or in upper case
ΓΙ'ΑΥΤΟ ΕΙΝΑΙ Η ΖΩΗ

Literally the above means "this is what life is" but it has the meaning of "this is what's the purpose of life".

If you want something more concrete, like "this is the reason/purpose for life":
ΑΥΤΟΣ ΕΙΝΑΙ Ο ΣΚΟΠΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΖΩΗΣ

If you can't read the greek characters, let me know and I'll e-mail you a picture.