Trains to and From Venice Int'l Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if Venice International Airport is serviced by an train station, and if so, what the name of the station is?

Trying to go from Venice (the city) to Lake Como, then Lake Como to Venice Airport, (and not miss the outbound flight back to the states!)

In general, are the Italian trains reliable? Any input helpful, thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM

There is no train to the Venice airport. You can take the train to Mestre or Venice train station - but then have to make your way to the airport via bus or boat (alliguna or water taxi depending on your budget and timetable).

It looks like the bus from the train station to the ariport is supposed to take abut 20 minutes (but my Italian isn;t very good). Perhaps if you search the airport web site in more detail you can find the exact time.

Are you trying to go to Como and back in one day? Or in the same day take the train from Como to Venice to the airport?

What time out is your flight?

I have found trains in Italy to be quite unreliable (based on 4 trips). Two were on time - within a few minutes. One was about 30 minutes late. The fourth there was some sort of mystery problem and it took more than 3 hours from Florence to Rome (we did most of the trip at about 20 miles an hour).
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM

When we came back to Venice to catch our plane back to the states we took the train into Mestre and a cab took us to our terminal. ( 2 weeks ago ). Do you have to go all the way into Venice? Trains are pretty reliable but be on the track when it is expected in the station because they only stay 8 minutes.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM

There is a Coach service from the Airport Terminal run by the major transport/ferry company ATV to the City Terminial at about 15-20 minute intervals in either direction and takes about 20-25 minutes, depending on traffic etc and costs 7 Euros each way. Also there is a City bus that goes to the airport but we haven't used it so can't advise.
regards
Ted
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Hi devanson, the SanMarco Venice Airport website is www.veniceairport.it

The trains, reliable is not a word I would use if I had to be at an airport in Italy at a certain time. I would allow a lot of leeway. And there are strikes from time to time also, but at least they are announced in advance.
Wishing you a beautiful time in Italy, and with proper planning it will be.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 01:57 AM

Watch for Italian rail strikes. You can go on any of the European airlines websites and get news on that, such as RyanAir's website. Italians have to by law announce their strikes (how civilized) and it is almost a nuisance because they will post particular hours of their strike. However the fallout from the strikes is delays. The ATVC buses to Venice were very reliable and no there is not a train all the way into Venice because its an island.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Elan:

Sorry, but there is a long causeway that links Venice to the mainland and trains DO go all the way into Venice. The Venezia Santa Lucia train station is on the Grand Canal.

It is true that there are no trains from the airport to Venice.