Search

Trains in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains in Spain

I will be taking a cruise this August. The ship departs and returns to Barcelona. At the end of the cruise we are thinking of spending a few days in Madrid. What is the train like from Barcelona to Madrid, and on the return can we take the train from Madrid to the airport in Barcelona?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM

If you make your reservations in advance you can get very good airfares between Barcelona and Madrid. I think flying is the way to go. Check Iberia, Air Europa or Spanair for fares, they all fly between Barcelona and Madrid.

Why do you need to return to Barcelona? Can't you fly back to the states directly from Madrid?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Neopolitan

Yes, consider flying. And the train from Barcelona to Madrid isn't that exciting anyway because ---- the trains in Spain stay mainly on the plains.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Also try http://www.vueling.es a discount carrier. As cruiseluv says, several airlines operate puente aereo (sky bridge) flights (hourly on weekdays). Because there's so much competition on that route, flying may be cheaper tan taking a train.

About half of the rail line between Barcelona & Madrid has been upgraded for high speed trains (like AVE) but the Talgo's go pretty fast and they are comfortable. check http://www.renfe.es for schedules.

If you come back to Barcelona by train you will terminate at Barcelona Sants station. I don't think the train from Madrid goes by Barcelona's airport rail station: you would have to make a connection. Again flying from Madrid (Barajas) to Barcelona (Prat de Llobregat) might be cheaper and more convenient.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM

LOL Neopolitan! Exactly what I was thinking!

I did like taking the train from Madrid to Barcelona though.