Notices

Paris Hotel Concerns

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel Concerns

Can anybody help me...I have reservations at the Best Western Acadia Opera hotel...I've read mixed messages about this location and am concerned...I'm planning to travel with my mother...Would the Best Western Folkestone hotel be a better choice??? I am looking for a hotel near a metro in a decent area at a resonable rate...preferably around the Lourve/Opera area...

Would appreciate any advice....Thank you.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Is there a special reason to be staying at a Best Western hotel?
You are most likely going to be near a Metro station wherever you stay, the best places are close to where museums and shops and good sightseeing are..the Acadia Opera is in the 9th, according to their zipcode.
We would need to know what exactly is "reasonable" to you as far as prices and what do you need aside from location.
I have a feeling that there are many places that will be more charming in better locations that you might like
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM

>>>>
Is there a special reason to be staying at a Best Western hotel....I have a feeling that there are many places that will be more charming
>>>>

maybe you are thinking of best westerns in the US. in europe there is no tendency for a BW to be more or less charming than any other hotel....it's just a network of independent hotels.

i used to stay in a fairly charming small hotel every once in a while. one day i noticed it was turning into a BW, the woman who owned it basically just said that it was to be part of the reservation network and the ownership and everything else stayed the same.

assuming that BW is a charmless chain hotel is a common misconception of the US-centric. i'm not saying it is any better than anywhere else...only that the BW in the name is basically meaningless in indicating the level of "charm".
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

No particular reason...it just so happened that they were Best Western hotels...it was easy to use their website...

I did try some other hotels, for instance, Hotel Therese, Hotel Langolis...but they were all booked...planning to be in Paris on May 17th - 22nd...my price range is about 110-120 euros...possibly up to 130 euros...I know this is last minute...so I appreciate any help given...

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM

True about chain hotels but from the photos, these are a bit charmless. If one is using points , a chain hotel can be good, but since Paris is overflowing with charming hotels in good locations, I had to ask, why a Best Western.
Most hotels have decent websites now- my advice, get a guide book, or go to Barnes and Noble and browse their travel books. I have one called Hotels of Charm http://tinyurl.com/rtu75...
Then there is one called hotels-exclusive.com
You can get ideas of what you like, where you want to be and narrow down the search. We will be happy to help, we all have our favorite hotels in Paris.
Right now, not knowing your budget, I will take a chance and suggest the Danube on rue Jacob, Left Bank, 6th..perfect location for you and your mom.
Go read about it and tell us what you think
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM

You might try the Folkestone. There was someon on another message board that always stayed there when in Paris, and they usually went every year. As far as the location...I don't know exactly where you are in relation to the Opera but I stayed not far from there on Blvd. Haussman at the Hotel Ambassador. It was about two blocks from Galerie Layfayette and probably four blocks from the Opera. I know there are other more charming areas in Paris and I can't compare because I have only been to Paris twice, but I will say I liked the area. It was very safe, close to some of the Passages, close to the Grand Magasins, the Opera and the Madeline (sp)..so hope you have a great trip and are happy with your hotel choice.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM

http://www.hoteldanube.fr/index-gb.htm
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Since your dates are so soon, I suggest going to tripadvisor.com and typing them in to the "Quickcheck" there. Limit the price to under $200.

The Lenox Montparnasse is available for $147 US, and is ranked 26th in all of Paris. (I considered it for my last trip.) There are plenty of other good choices as well, with reviews from people who've stayed there.

You can also text search here for feedback on those that interest you.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM

First of all, I am staying at a Best Western next month - the rate I booked directly through the hotel (many months ago) website was 1/2 (no kidding) the rate for the same type room on the Best Western website. When I check my dates just now, rates are still considerably lower.

You might also want to try www.venere.com
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a handy link for finding Paris hotels in various price ranges. It includes your preference and the hotels are well recommended.

http://tinyurl.com/le55b

The site contains other useful info, if you are interested.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM

If someone wants to stay between the Louvre and the Opera, why do you guys keep pushing them into the 6th?

Hotel Madeleine Opera
http://www.hotel-madeleine-opera.com/us/p1.html

Hotel Madeleine Haussmann
http://www.madeleine-paris-hotel.com/

Hotel Helder Opera
http://www.helder-paris-hotel.com/

Hotel le Loiret
http://www.hotelleloiret.com/adefault.htm
http://www.parishotels.com/Hotel_le_Loiret_star_en.html (Promo)

Hôtel Louvre Marsollier Opéra
http://www.hotellouvremarsollier.com/
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:32 PM

If someone wants to stay between the Louvre and the Opera, why do you guys keep pushing them into the 6th..
I was going more for the charm and affordability than the area..I never want to stay around the Opera area, so I would recommend what I am familiar with.
But a friend of mine loves the Hotel Brittanique..

http://www.hotel-britannique.fr/index.html
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:45 PM

The Brighton Hotel on Rue de Rivoli is basically a block from the Louvre and very nice, but a renovated room overlooking the Tuileries might be out of their price range - we paid 165 € per night last September.

KC
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you want to begin a search in total neutrality, you can try www.pagesjaunes.fr -- the yellow pages. Just type in "Hotel" and "Paris 9" or "Paris 2" or whatever, and you will get enormous lists of hotels and their website links. There is also a function on the yellow pages site to see a photo of every address in Paris. After you have a few ideas, then you can check out tripadvisor or whatever.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Hotel Madeleine Plaza, across the road from the Madeleine church and nearly next door to Faunchon and Hediard !
http://www.hotels-paris.fr/en/hotel/...eine-Plaza.htm
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
tod

allie - If you are looking for a hotel with a metro stop right outside the front door, look no further than the Best Western Hotel Nouvel Orleans.
I know this is not in the Louvre/Opera area you mentioned as a preferance but the metro in front of the hotel is Mouton-Duvernet and has line 4 running directly through Metros St.Germain des Pres/St.Michel/Cite/Chatelet/and so on.........one ride away from all the action.
I would like to also mention that the neighborhood around the hotel is charming and has the lovely pedestrianised Rue Da Guerre (similar to Rue Cler).
Tod
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:51 AM

www.france-hotel-guide.com has hotels all over Paris, in all price ranges from no-star to luxe. I have stayed in a couple of hotels listed on the site and was very satisfied. (I found the hotels independtly, then found they were on the site.) It links you to the hotel's web page, and there a lots of pictures;
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM

There is nothing wrong with staying near the Opera/Madeleine area, it can be convenient and fun. There's also nothing wrong with a Best Western hotel and I think some people don't understand that this is just a marketing group -- BW does not require hotels in its consortium to have a certain style or be charmless or be decorated a certain way or anything like that. They are just independent hotels like any other that have joined this group. The fact that it's a Best Western is basically irrelevant, although it can be convenient for booking. I don't know the Acadia Opera at all, so can't comment on that specific hotel, but it being a BW is not a reason to reject it nor meaningful.

Everybody in the world does not have to stay in the 6th arrondisement and it is not so charming in parts, anyway.

I probably wouldn't think you'd like the location tod recommended though (although I appreciate the suggestions and why), and wouldn't recommend it myself (BTW it is rue Daguerre, not Da Guerre). I just don't think it's like what you want and it's pretty far out for most tourists. I also wouldn't think the Lenox Montparnasse would suit your criteria.

The Queen Mary is a nice moderate hotel near the Madeleine/Opera.
www.hotelqueenmary.com

The Mansart is another nice 3* near the Madeleine, see
www.esprit-de-france.com

Near the Louvre, the Relais du Louvre and Hotel de la Place du Louvre are two good midlevel choices.
http://www.relaisdulouvre.com/

The Hotel de la Place du Louvre is also in the Esprit de France group above.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM

If you are not attached to the Lourve/Opera are, The Best Western Bretagne Montparnasse proved to be an excellent choice for us.
It's an easy walk to the Metro and the AirFrance shuttle.
This hotel shows pages and pages of rave reviews on TripAdvisor. Also exact instructions how to get there. (If you decide on this hotel and need instructions look back to a review from early 2005)
Have a great trip!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I really would like to thank all of you for your suggestions...I already searched through some of the provided hotel links and it looks like some of the hotels are already booked...I know it's kind of last minute...But really thanks again...and Tod I plan to check out Rue Da Guerre. Thank you all...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO