Trains in Italy - 1st or 2ns class

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody tell me the difference between first class and second besides the price? is there a difference in service, comfort, etc.?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Where are you traveling to and from?
Overall, I like first if the price isn't all that much more. This can depend on sales and routes.
Many here agree that 2nd is fine if you have few bags and it's a rather short trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

We'll probably be taking a train from Rome to Naples (about 2 hrs); another from Naples to Florence between 3 and 4 hours, and finally, one from Florence to Venice (3 hrs). Just wondering what the difference in quality and comfort is - is it worth the extra $$?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:09 AM

It depends on the type of train. For ES trains, first class has wider seats and more room, but second class is still very comfortable. First class will probably be less crowded as well. Since all ES tickets include a seat reservation, you will definitely have a place to sit whether in first or second class.

The newer IC trains are similar to the ES and some include reserved seats. Others you pay extra to guarantee a seat.

For the older IC trains, second class is often careworn, crowded, more noisy, and the AC doesn't work. Also, the older IC trains do not require reservations, so second class can be very crowded--a real free-for-all in search of seats. First class on these trains tend to be less crowded. As mentioned before, you can pay extra for a seat reservation if you want.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM

In first class seats are bigger and more comfy. Also - there tend to be fewer travelers so there's more chance of geting several sets for yourself so you can spread out. Also, possibly more room for your luggage - assuming you have more than one small rollie.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Seems like for the small difference in price first class is the way to go. I priced it out and for all three of our train trips the extra cost would only add up to about $115 or so - not too much when you're looking at a $10,000 vacation!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM

We had no A/C on two IC trains this past July. It was truly awful for the 3 hour trip and I would never choose to do this again.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Many would disgaree on this issue but in my experience in Italy, there is a good reason why they call it <b>First</b>.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM

ellenem has a good point. I would seriously look at the IC+ trains on www.trenitalia.com I like this site, not only because it's the official site, but it will give specific details on each train and train type. (Look for the English sign at the top right of the home site).

Most, if not all IC+ trains are less than 2 years old, smoking is not allowed at all, and first class on these trains are at or less than second on ES. IC+ tends to make one or two more stops on the same route. Decide if a little more time is worth more comfort at a lower price.

The web site won't give out prices more than 90 days out, so use the same day of the week travel for somewhere less than 90 days and you'll get a good idea on pricing.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Using the same day of the week when you &quot;practice&quot; with trenitalia is a good tip.