Search

trains in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
pdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trains in Europe

We are taking the train from Rome to Florence and then Florence to Venice...what is the difference between 1st class and 2nd class and is it worth the extra money?? Is there more room for luggage in 1st class? We want to make a reservation on line as we are leaving October 8th.
Once we get off the train in Venice how long is the walk to the Vaperetto??
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM

I rode the Eurostar in April on the same route as you and I chose to travel first class. I liked the fact I got assigned seats, although I am not sure the seats in second class are not assigned. With regards to luggage, I do not believe there is more luggage space in first class than in second class, but because first class is not as crowded there may be more opportunities to store luggage overhead. The seats may be nicer and there is beverage service. I chose first class over second class because I wanted a quieter environment. On several legs of my travels, first class was less than half full and most passengers were business travelers. In April, there are a lot of student field trips and second class was filled with teenagers.

In Venice, the vaporetto dock is right outside the train station, less than a 2 minute walk. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Neopolitan

As expected, first class is likely to be less crowded. The seats will be a little more comfortable and roomier. The car is likely to be cleaner and nicer. The cars are likely to be less crowded. As some people say -- you'll get there the same time no matter which class you take. Only you can decide if it is "worth it" to you. I usually opt for first when the difference in price isn't great.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:08 PM

First class has bigger. comfier seats and there are more likely to be empty seats so you can spread out more. there is usually more room for luggage because of the empty seats (less luggage due to fewer people).

We generally do first class for trips of 2 hours or more - and always if we have luggage. For short trips we do second unless the train is full - then we do first so as not to get squashed. (ie we took first to and fro Ascot)
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM

There is 2+2 seating in 2nd class and 2+1 seating in 1st class. There is more leg room and the seats are wider.

Booking online in advance at trenitalia.com can save you some money. For example, here are your options for Rome to Florence:

EuroStar Italia - Standard fare is E29.44 2nd class and E42.35 1st class. "in Eurostar a 29 euro" fares are E29 for either 1st or 2nd class.

InterCity - Standard fare is E23.95 2nd class and E31.80 1st class. "Liberta di viaggiare 15 euro" fares are E15 in either 1st or 2nd class.

There are also slower regional trains with cheap standard fares.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM

Yes. Second class ES seats are indeed reserved when you book them. Ah, yes, true Trenitalia's website has really great fares unlike Rail Europe's. But be aware that many people have complained how finicky the Trenitalia site is. I booked tickets last week via the site and it was fine, thank God.

Btw, be sure you select the Santa Lucia station for your Venice destination.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We've taken them all and I think it depends on the specific train. The second class intercity trains are fine. One thing though, the Eurostar has air conditioning and the others do not. Something to consider if you're going in the summer.

As roadlesstraveled stated, the vaperetto is right there outside the train station, I think about two steps down from the station platform itself. Actually, it's easier getting down those steps than it is getting off the train. If you plan to take the vaperetto more than one time, it's much cheaper if you buy a 24 hour pass. If you get the 24 hour pass, luggage goes free. If you buy the single ticket, you have to pay extra for the luggage.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:40 PM

There is a very complete description of 1st and 2nd class travel on Italian trains on the Slow Travel website, www.slowtravel.com.

Once you get off the train in the Santa Lucia station in Venezia, the walk to the vaporetto is pretty much the equivalent of walking across the street or crossing a plaza (piazza). It is brief and flat.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:49 PM

The pass mentioned above is regarding the Venice Card. You can buy it for one, three, and seven days.

http://www.venicecard.com/index_eng.jsp
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Neopolitan

Or if you don't plan to visit every church and museum in Venice, save money and simply buy the Vaparetto pass for the same periods of time -- for a whole lot less.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Vaporetto are right in front of the train station, just down the steps to the ticket booth
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM

bookmarking