Trains between Florence & Sienna?

Aug 7th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Joe

Trains between Florence & Sienna?

Are there trains between the two? Are they convenient and how long is the trip? Thanks.

Aug 7th, 2001, 03:53 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Joe
there are quite a few trains from Firenze SMN to Siena. Total time will
vary from an hour to an hour+4o mins
depending on the particular train.
see <www.fs-on-line.it> for time
schedules...Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Aug 7th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Liv

You can also take a bus from Florence to Siena that takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. This may be cheaper and also may drop you off closer to the center of town versus where the train station is. Both trains and buses leave Florence from Santa maria Novella area.`

Aug 7th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Kathy

We just did this in March when we were in Italy. I must say, we loved Sienna and it is a place that I want to return to. We took the bus which took about an 1hr and 15 min. Quiet a nice ride. The bus station was a little difficult to find, it is to the right of the main entrance of the train station. Have a wonderful trip.

Aug 8th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Allison

Hi Joe, We were in FLorence and rented a car to get to Sienna, which was totally worth it. We found San Giminiano (sp?), which we liked better than Sienna, although we went to both. The countryside is beautiful, and it's fun to just stop whenever you want. The only problems we had was navigating Florence when we got back (it's all in circles) and filling our gas tank...quite tricky! Rent a car, it's the best!

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:27 AM
dan woodlief

I have a question on this one too. I have decided I will take the bus as long as it runs very early in the morning (6-6:30). Does it? Another concern is getting back to Florence. I want to go as a daytrip to Siena, but I want to spend a considerable part of the evening and night in Siena. Do buses run late? If not, is it a pain to get back to the train station from the center of town?

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:45 AM
elaine

Here are bus websites
www.annells.demon.co.uk/main/busita.htm
http://150.217.9.3/ie/citybus.htm
www.tiac.net/users/pendini/bus.html

good websites about Siena :
www.turismoverde.com/english/enhome.htm includes bus schedules
www.comune.siena.it

http://goeurope.about.com/travel
/goeurope/library/weekly
/bls_siena_info_intro.htm

Frequent-poster Paulo (where ARE you lately?) once gave us instuctions and the schedule for a day trip to San Gimignano and Siena from Florence. It mentions bits of the Florence-Siena bus schedule. I'm reproducing it here:
"Florence's SITA bus station is on the far right corner of the square street as you leave the Santa Novella train station. This is more convenient than the train because it's faster (1:15 hr) than most available trains and because it leaves you within the city walls in Siena (from the train station to the old city it's an uphill relatively long stroll)...
"…San G. doesn't have a train station of its own. It's served by the train station at Poggibonsi and a bus or taxi to shuttle between both cities would be called for…There aren't direct buses from Florence to San G…
There are frequent buses both ways between Siena and San G…The last express bus from Siena to Florence on a Saturday leaves at 7:10pm. I don't know exactly when the last bus leaves from San G. to Florence but you may assume that it's also around 7pm. The last train from San G./Poggibonsi into Florence leaves at 9:45pm, arriving at 10:44pm. From Siena it leaves at 9:23pm, arriving at 10:45pm. In this case, I would take an early (6:30am or 7:10am) SITA through bus from Florence to Siena (arriving at 8:00/8:40am; SITA bus station in Siena is across the square in front of S.M.Novella train station). After visiting some of Siena and lunch, I would find my way to San G. midafternoon (bus at San Domenico church). After visiting and having an early dinner, I would get a taxi to Poggibonsi and a train back to Florence."

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:47 AM
elaine

I should add that the schedule mentioned is from 2000, so just to make sure you should check the bus websites for any changes in schedule

Aug 8th, 2001, 09:35 AM
dan woodlief

Thanks Elaine. Just what I needed. Paolo's posts on Italy are the best. However, I am still wondering how much of a walk it is to the train station in Siena if I take a train back. Anyone?

Aug 8th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Mary

Hi
Just went from Florence to Siena and back in June. We took an early morning bus. ( got our tickets the day before.. there was a rush for the bus and they added another bus to the route... bit scary, but worked out ok) The bus drops you off very close to the main part of town. When we left we took the train. We took a taxi and were glad we did. ( Because of suitcases) People were walking to the station, but they were back packing. Hope this helps.
Mary