Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train Travel from Munich to Salzburgh and from Innsbruck to Trento. Help Please!

Search

Train Travel from Munich to Salzburgh and from Innsbruck to Trento. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find a cheap way of getting from Munich to Salzburgh. I have 4 people traveling and the best deal I can get is about $40 per person (including tax.) Munich is only an hour or so from Salzburg, shouldn't it be cheaper?

Does anyone know where I can go to get cheaper train tickets? I tried www.bahn.de and got the same price. Any other sites?

Also, what about going from Innsbruck to Trento, Italy? Where can I buy tickets there?
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 02:17 PM

The fare on www.bahn.de is 25 euros on an intercity train or 21.50 on an RE (regional express) train.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM

You can travel from Munich to Salzburg on a Bayern-Ticket for 24 EUR for all four of you. You can only use one of the RE trains. and you have to leave after 9 a.m.

Innsbruck to Trento won't have such a low price, since it is an international journey.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

MusicTeacher: What is the website, or where can I find the Bayern ticket prices? Also, Salzburg is not in Germany, it is in Austria. So it too is international. Will that be a problem too?
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:39 PM

The Bayern Ticket prices can be found at this site:
http://www.bahn.de/-S:-ptVOR9:[email protected]

Salzburg is indeed in Austria, but it is on the border and German trains run into the station and charge German domestic fares.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM

The colons in the web address got changed to smileys when I posted, but if you paste the whole thing into a web browser, you should get to the right page.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

ok thanks very much!

Anyone have any ideas about Innsbruck to Trento?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:47 AM

There is a train every two hours from Innsbruck to Trento. You can look up the schedule at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

Railsaver.com gives the fare as approximately $23.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

bahn.de does not give online prices for these trips. Is that a problem? How am I supposed to book a ticket if I can't buy it online? If I wait until I arrive in Munich, I might not be able to get a ticket for the time I want.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM

I would not anticipate a problem if you wait until you get to Munich; however, you can book through bahn.de by phone.

Go to http://www.bahn.de

Click on "International Guests." Click on "Purchase your ticket" and you will see seven ways to purchase a ticket, including a phone number to call.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks very much!!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM

We too are going to Salzburg for Christmas and we are going via Munich and we are going to get train tickets from the airport, i think that is the only way and they are very efficient . we did it three years ago when we went to Garmish and we just got off the plane bought the ticket and got on the train. it is very simple and they are very efficient-only prob is if you don't know german you have to be much more aware onwhere to get off for your connection.