Train Tickets on TrenItalia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any luck buying tickets on the TrenItalia (Ferrovie Dello Stato) website from the US? When we tried, we got a message that our card was not accepted and to fax several items of inofrmation to TrenItaila to have the card accepted.

We are going to Rome mid September and will be taking a train from Rome to Brindisi. We want to get the 20% discount using the website to order the tickets.

Any Ideas?
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM

I've never tried to purchase from the website, but many have and have the same results that you did. You could purchase your train tickets when you arrrive in Rome from an authorized travel agency or at the train station from the machines or ticket window.

Many times the discounted tickets are available up to a day or two prior to departure date. Other posters here will know more specifics on that. You might try doing a search on this forum for more information on discounts.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 06:41 PM

I have been trying for two months with a Canadian credit card. No luck. But I think I have memorized the Italian train schedule.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM

I can relate. I would just buy the ticket in Italy. Not worth geting excited about. But I feel your pain.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM

I haven't tried it this year. But after registering, I was able to purchase tickets last year using this website - http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD .
I paid for the tickets with a MasterCard. I only mentioned the card type because I have had problems trying to use a Visa card on some of the European websites.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:50 AM
ira

t
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. When we first had our cards refused, we got an email from Trenitalia wanting us to send specific information and scans of documents to them to have our cards approved. Well, get an email from them today that they had approved our card (or as they said, multiple cards) for use. And that if we had any more trouble to contact our credit card companies.

Of course, we still could not get the website to accept our cards, called Visa (Master Card didn't work either) and were told they are not the problem; they are not getting anything from Italy. Also got another copy of the same auto reply email requesting the same information to enable our cards. I replied to Trenitalia about the issue, soooo we'll see what happens next.
Fortunately we lived in Italy for several years and understand how things work.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:18 PM
GAC

One traveller suggested faxing one of the local travel agencies in Italy (listed on the Trenitalia website) whether they will sell you a promotional fare ticket if you fax them your credit card information (and if you trust them). If they are interested in earning the sales commission, they could sell you an electronic ticket (and provide you the pertinent information) or (upon request) a paper ticket mailed to your home address. (I don't know that I would do this unless I KNEW the travel agency and had done business with them before.)

An even better solution would be to wait until you arrive in Rome and try to "qualify" for the advance purchse "AMICA" fare (or other discounted ticket) at that time. Even if the "AMICA" fare is sold out for second class, it might still be available for first class (for not much more than the cost of "regular" second class). This solution won't work if you are taking the train on the same day as your initial arrival in Italy.

Yet another solution would be to ask your hotel to do this for you (they already have your credit card info).