train tickets - do I need to pick up

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I successfully reserved tickets on trenitalia for May. The printout shows a car & seat # and the codice prenotazione. It even says "stampa" on the side. Are these what I use on the train or do I exchange it for tickets? They didn't have ticketless option, just self service and domicile (I picked self service).
Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:51 AM

"stampa" means "print", so from the sound of it, these are your tickets. What else is written on the ticket? Give as much info as possible, and I'm sure we can figure it out for you.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Theresa: I still can't get the site to work with the password they sent me. Any tricks to making this work?
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:16 AM
ira

Hi theresa,

You have your printed confirmation of your seat reservation.

Bring that number and the same credit card to which you billed the tickets with you to the train station to get your tickets.

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:17 AM
ira

Sera,

I just used the online site and had no trouble getting through.

Are you getting a message that your password is not valid, or just not getting through?
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Ira: When I enter my user name and password, a box pops up that says: "La password deve essere formata da lettere e numeri." Which I take to mean my password must include letter and numbers. The one they gave me has letters only. I'm stumped!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:05 AM
ira

Hi sera,

Try reregistering with a different user name.

I did that. I now have one password with all letters and one with all letters and numbers. They both work.

Maybe it's just a matter of luck.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Okay, I feel like I just signed away my soul, because I've just bought some tickets using this system. I'm not totally happy, as I have had to guess my way through a language I don't know.

Now I want to be able to change my assigned password as I should be able to (according to my Altavista Babelfish translation). Has anyone done this? I can't find where to do it...

By the way Sera, be sure your caps lock key is turned off and type in the password exactly as given, ie if it was lowercase, use lowercase letters.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Sue, I did make sure cap lock was off, etc. Let me know if you figure out how to change your password. Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Woo hoo! I successfully logged in and changed my password. Just go to Area Clienti, log in, and take it from there.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 10:53 AM

That's great sera! What do you suppose the problem was that gave you the trouble before?

And thanks, I was able to change my password.

Note to anyone reading: As far as my mangled Babelfish translation can tell, the 'ticketless' option is only for Eurostar trains. For the rest you must take your reservation code (and, ira tells us, the CC used to make the rez) to the self-service machines in the station where, presumably, you get your tickets.

If this actually works, I'll be a happy camper. Unfortunately I still have to line up to get my cross-border ticket. Oh well.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:05 AM

I have no idea what the problem was. Ira has been saying the site is quirky, so I guess i just lucked out. Now, when you do the ticketless option for the Eurostar, you just print out the receipt and bring it on the train?
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM

That seems to be what I can make out from my translation:

." In the purchase case on-linens, the system will send one email of confirmation of purchase with all the relative indications to the carried out transaction.

In order to concur with the staff of edge of rilasciare the acquired ticket it will be necessary to print and to conserve the confirmation email or to bring back correctly and to conserve some data of the reservation (given and hour; number of the train, the carrozza and del/i posto/i assegnato/i; (*I think the foregoing means, car and assigned seat numbers*); the code reservation PNR). "

(And if you can make that out, you win a prize...)
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM
ira

Si,

The reason is that for the ES* your ticket is good for only one trip.

For other trains, you have an open ticket that must be stamped before you get on the train.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Ira, I presume that the self-service machine is still an option? The reason is that I made a slight goof and paid for a journey Venice-Milan-Varenna and of course, only the Venice-Milan portion is ES*. So I'm hoping to get an actual ticket that I can stamp in the machine (or else I'll just stamp my email confirmation and hope for the best from the conductor...)
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Managed to registar finally! However, unable to buy a ticket. Got a message that said system was down. I'll try again later. Oh, well, if I can't get it ahead of time, I'll get it at the station.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:49 PM
yk

niblette-

Sometimes the website works better during working hours in Italy. Just keep on trying. Also, you cannot purchase tickets more than 60days in advance.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:22 PM
ira

Hi Sue,

>I presume that the self-service machine is still an option?<

Of course. You can even use the ticket counters, if the line is not too long.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Ira, I'll get the tickets. Sera: It took me several tries, One time it said it couldn't connect. The second time it seemed not to take my sign on and password but I went back one step in the same session several times and it finally took it (there was a bit of a lag time also).
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:06 AM

Was finally successful in buying tickets! Next stop, Italy! I was a little worried about buying the tickets at the station since my spoken Italian is shaky at best. (But I can read it fairly well!)
Thanks yk. Buying option does seem to work only during the times the Italian reservation services are open. I noticed the little shopping cart seems to only appear in the AM or early PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -