Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train tickets in Italy - is there a rail pass?

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Italy in late May/June for a 2 week trip. We will travel extensively by train and will need tickets for the routes listed below. Is a rail pass available for these routes (both EuroStar and regional trains) or should we just book each segment separately? Is it more expensive if segments are purchased separately? I understand the EuroStar segments can be purchased online in advance of our trip.

Rome to Naples (EuroStar)
Naples to Rome (EuroStar)
Rome to Florence (EuroStar)
Florence to Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre to Lake Como
Milan to Venice (EuroStar)
Venice to Rome (EuroStar)
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Dear N:

We're doing something similar later in the summer. I am purchasing rail passes through RailEurope; they also will obtain the compulsory seat reservations for the EuroStar segments, just at the beginning of the 60 day window set by Trenitalia. Thus, when I leave the US, I have all the necessary paper for the entire trip. The only stop at a ticket office is the mandatory validation of the pass at the beginning of the travel period covered by the pass. More expensive that buying on the scene or online but it eliminates a hassle; at my age that's good. Gradyghost

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I still can't figure out how to get on Eurostar the Rome to Florence it only lists travel in France and Belgium.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Yes, there is a railpass for travelling within Italy. I would suggest you go to this website:
http://www.railsaver.com/railsaver.asp
and put in your itinerary and it will tell you whether you'll save money by purchasibg a pass or whether you should just buy point-to-point tickets.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM

island girl..where are you looking? just go to www.raileurope.com and put in your "from" and "to" locations and the date. You will see your fare plus the schedule. You can buy those tickets when you get to Rome though.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM

http://www.raileurope.com/cgi-bin/fs...22&submit.y=13
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi_Travelnut. Have you used RailSaver in the past? If so, any issues with redeeming reservations for the trains in Italy?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM

I used railsaver to determine what path to take, ie: to buy a railpass or not. I have not purchased from them. I did purchase my 3-country railpass and some other tickets from RailEurope. I purchased my Venice-Florence, Florence-Rome tickets at the train station the day before I needed them.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM

We will be in Italy the same timeframe late May/June for 2 week trip. My main concern is managing the luggage with all the train rides. I've also been on www.trenitalia.com and seen the ad for a faster train between Milan & Rom (3.5 hours)! But I can't find the schedule for that faster train. We also have plans to go from Venice to Cinque Terre at the end of our trip. I'm starting to have anxiety attacks about not getting on the right train - or having 16 stops.....we are trying to learn enough Italian to make our way thru the train stations. Thanks!