Eurail Pass - France/Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like tips for traveling with the Eurail pass. We are traveling Paris-Florence-Rome-Paris and wondering what to anticipate/plan for. Any tips for reservations, amount of time to arrive before travel, etc? We will have 2 overnights on the train. Recommendation for whom to buy the pass from?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM

You probably don't need a railpass for that combination of trains, and would likely pay too much for it. You can check out the cost of point-to-point tickets at www.sncf.com and www.trenitalia.com.

As far as reservations go, assuming you are not using a railpass, you can buy them online before leaving or buy them in France and Italy at the stations. Depends a lot on when you're traveling.

I usually plan to get to a station at least a half-hour before my train departs, more if I need to stand in line to buy or pick up tickets.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:32 PM

To determine if a Eurail pass would save you money over point-to-point tickets, go to www.railsaver.com, click "only if it saves me money" to see if you should buy a railpass.
There's good information on the Rick Steves website also. I've purchased rail passes from there in the past, and plan to again in 2006.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you need a pass if the cities you posted are your complete itinerary.

Also realize even with a pass for overnight trains any sleeping accomodations (i.e., couchette or wagon lit) cost extra.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

In addition to your feedback, I had some tips from another forum and it might be best to buy regular tickets Paris to Florence, Florence to Rome, then fly via Ryanair from Rome to Paris.

So many eurail websites: railsaver.com, eurail.com, eurorail.com, raileurope.com, and the individual country websites....????...
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:12 AM
ira

Hi G,

Everyone who sells railpasses sells them for the same price. The only difference is whether they charge S&H or if they give you some freebies.

Did you check with www.railsaver.com?

If you did, keep in mind that you will have to pay extra for sleeper cars and reserved seats on the ES* trains.

You can fly Pari ORY to Pisa PSA for 40E pp. It's 1 hr by train from PSA to Florence SMN.

Unfortunately, the only cheap flights from Rome to Paris are www.ryanair.com, which flies between Rome Ciampino and Paris Beauvais.

If you visit Venice, instead of Rome (which is what I would do), you can fly Venice VCE to Paris Orly on www.myair.com. Much more convenient.