Train Tickets - Earlier Depart OK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I arrive at London Heathrow and have booked a train from Euston to Manchester at 15:00 on Sunday. It's quite possible that I may be able to make a noon train (if all goes well at customs). My saver single ticket is on Virgin Trains. The earlier train is the same line. Does anyone know if I'll have any trouble getting on the earlier train without some sort of reticketing or penalty? I can't seem to find that on their site. Thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:10 AM

ttt
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

ttt??
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:27 AM

ttt = to the top
It's a way to keep your post on the top of the heap.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi JaneB
I happen to be a jane b myself. I'm new to this. What is the effect of keeping a post ttt and why that reply?
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Only you can really know the answer.

"Saver" is a brand name used by some railway companies for not-very discounted tickets. Usually, that brand indicates some flexibility, and if that's the name of the brand you've bought, you'll be able to take most trains. But when you bought the ticket, the terms should have been made clear on the site.

If you're struggling with the Virgin site, go to nationalrail.co.uk, and enter a query for this journey on a Sunday in late October or mid November. After the schedules come up, follow the link for prices. A list of brandnames for prices will show: click on yours to see the relevant T+C. You need to do this for some time in the future so that all the brands will show.

If your ticket is valid only for a specific journey, you might be able to get away with the dumb tourist act. If not, they'll sell you an upgrade on the train.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM

Jabergal, the threads on the top are viewed by more people and thus more likely to get resposes. There is a lot of action on Fodor's and many threads just drop down into oblivion pretty quickly if no one responds to them. Dukey was just trying to boost yours up "to the top" again for additional exposure.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Now that someone with better knowledge than I has replied, I'll make my own contribution.

This past April I had the opportunity to retrun to London from Swindon earlier than expected. I had bought a R/T ticket through the NationalRail site which was about the cheapest return you could get at the time.

When I got to the Swindon RR station I asked one of the ticket agents about taking an earlier train. For my particular ticket I was locked into a particular eparture so I ended up waiting.

If you are unable to get the information beforehand you can definitely find out at the station.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM
ira

Hi J,

If your ticket is for a reserved seat, it is unlikely that you will be able to use it on a different train.

You mmight be permittted to pay a small reservation fee for the earlier train.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I don't have a reserved seat, and it is a saver single, so I'll just go for it if time permits.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM

< I don't have a reserved seat >

Em, all the seats on long distance trains are automatically reserved when you book

< If your ticket is for a reserved seat, it is unlikely that you will be able to use it on a different train. > is totally wrong.

When you book you get a rserved seat BUT depending upon the type of ticket you may be able to use a different service, break your journey or even get a full refund. Indeed businessmen buy the full cost tickets just so they can do precisely that & often reserve seats on several trains so that they don't have to make a particular train

For the OP, there are 6 types of saver single on the Euston to Manchester route varying in price form £12.50 to £45.50 but they all require you to travel on the train you booked on.
You can change the ticket before you travel BUT it will cost you the difference between what you paid & what the cheapest fare for that train is plus a fee.

http://ojp2.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj...etTypeCode=VAS

If I was you & you do have some time I'd go to Kings Cross, walk to the British Library, dump your luggage there (net cost NOTHING) & then enjoy their Treasure's Room then scoot along to Euston about 30 minutes before your train is due to leave - or longer if you want to pick up something to eat/drink