Cell Phone Carriers in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I have the whole SIM card option. But I was looking for something more like a carrier and monthly plan as I'll be studying abroad there for about 5 months or so. I need a phone to communicate with all my friends and study abroad mates, as well as my friends in england and france. In the states we have like free nights and weekends, and 900 mins a month kind of deal. I'm looking for something like that. I've tried going to the TIM website, but I can't translate it yet. Anyone know of anything?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:16 PM

TIM has plans, but I think the average contract is pretty long.

For five months, you will do fine and save a lot of money by just getting a pre-paid SIM and reloading it. In Europe, most incoming calls are free in most countries, unlike the US, so you use a lot less minutes. In the US, they rip us off by giving us all those so-called "unlimited" minutes, making us feel like we are saving a ton of money.

I use my Italian cell phone a lot when I am in Italy, and it isn't nearly the same amount of minutes charged as in the US.

Just a thought...
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

my only concern is a lot of miscellaneous charges for recharging my sim card. Plus one of my friends from the states is going and the two of us plan to hang out but sometimes will be separated so it would be nice for us to communicate and plus living there for so long i imagine i'll make plenty of local friends. So I think I might go through the minutes kind of quickly
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Check out www.wind.it. I have not used them, but I plan to on my next trip. If I'm reading the Italian correctly they have unlimited calling and internet for 40 euro monthly with a 12 month contract and there are 2 months free. Their prepaid rates seem to be as low as .05 per minute. good luck, Gianni
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:22 PM

For the most part, and I cannot be specific, the way it is set up you will find it next to impossible to get a contract for a period of only 5 months...you will also need things like an Italian bank account and establish Italian credit which, as a student, you will not most likely have.

However, the 3 main Italian mobile carriers are WIND, TIM, and VODAFONE IT. You can go to their web sites and see what is required...I would suspect it will not be possible to open up such an account before arrival in Italy anyway.

If you're going to speak long hours, the prepaids will do...the person initiating the call would probably be best with some sort of a phone card and call off a public phone...the recipient of course will not be paying anything.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:44 AM
MaureenB

Look up PicCellWireless.com. It's the company my daughter's university recommended for her semester abroad last year. They have a variety of plans. They were very helpful when we e-mailed questions to them. She had the cheapest phone, which was really bare-bones Motorola, but fine for just a few months. The sound quality was good, text messaging was included. I think you'll be glad you have a phone for safety and keeping in touch. Have fun abroad.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM
fnn

Your best bet is the pay-as-you go phone. Which is what most students get in Italy. I found there were a lot more TIM locations than either Wind or Vodafone. As a previous poster said your incoming calls are free - so if your family or friends call you from the US you don't have to pay for it. I have a TIM sim card and the only charges I encounter are the taxes. For example a 10 Euro card might have 2 Euro in tax so you end up with 8 euro credit. I don't believe there is anyway around it.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:15 AM

bkm