Notices

Frustration with Trenitalia

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustration with Trenitalia

I have been trying to purchase train tickets for two days on the Trenitalia web site...but no success! I have done a search on this forum and tried to follow all of your suggestions, entering information in Italian as well as English....but no success. Here's the problem. After I enter all of the information, the train timetable pops up, but has a big NO in the purchase column, so of course, I can't purchase tickets. I have registered and have received a password. I have also sent an SOS email to the help desk. I guess I'll just have to wait on all those long lines you keep talking about at the train stations.....help! Helene
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:30 AM

I'm sure you've read in the earlier postings that you cannot buy tickets more than 60 days ahead (someone else said 59.)When are you travelling?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi helene,

No need to start a new thread.

You have the same answer on your other thread.

Click on your name and all of your postings will appear.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:34 AM

You can't book more than 60 days in advance so maybe thats the problem. I don't understand why everyone stresses about train tickets anyway as I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes in line in at the train stations and you can walk into any travel agency and get tickets also. Unless you are trying to book an overnight train, a special sale price or are traveling on a major holiday just wait until you get to Italy to book.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you. I didn't know about the 60 day rule. It's my first time to Italy. Maybe the best idea is to wait to get to the train stations. Helene
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:40 AM
ira

Hi H,

If you know when and where you want to go, it could be cheaper to buy online.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Helene - Trenitalia's site specifically says that if there is a bog "NO" by the cart it means you cannot by that particular train time/seat on line. You should either try a different train, try a different time, or try buying through raileurope.com. Good luck.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I've been all over Italy by train from Trieste to Trapani (not on the same holiday) and never booked a train before getting there, apart from the international overnight trains. Rather than worrying about booking train tickets, it would be much more useful to read about the places you're planning to visit and brush up your Italian.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM
GAC

Booking online through the Trenitalia website makes perfect sense if you're aiming to lock into one of the deeply discounted promotional rates, such as "Freedom to Travel" or "Eurostar a 29 Euro"; otherwise, you could plan to buy in person at the train station one or two days prior to actual departure. Without a deeply discounted fare, the drawbacks of buying online (locking into a particular train) often outweigh the benefits of keeping a flexible schedule. Also, there are penalties and forfeitures with online booking if you decide to switch trains after you've bought online, and most travellers simply HAVE NOT READ AND UNDERSTOOD these restrictions.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM

How about if we are landing at FCO in the morning and want to train directly to Naples for 4 days in Positano. Do you think we can go from FCO to the termini in Rome and purchase tickets for the next train to Naples without ordering ahead? It would be nice to not have the hassle of ordering ahead or worrying about making a train at a particular time, if our flights are delayed or something.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM
GAC

If you're going to Positano during the summer, it is easier to train to Salerno, then take the ferry boat to Positano. See my posting: Rome to Positano: the FAST way.

You can purchase your Rome-Salerno (or Rome-Naples) train ticket from the ticket window of the Fiumicino Airport Train Station, at the same time as you purchase the ticket (9.50 Euros) for the airporter train to Termini Station. That way, you won't have to stand in line a second time at Termini, and thereby waste time.

Do you need to purchase the train ticket in advance? Usually NOT. There are hourly ES or IC trains between Rome and Naples (many go on to Salerno), and many of these trains originate in Rome, so it's very unlikely that they will be totally full. Exceptions when advance reservations might be useful are in August, or during holiday weekends such as around Easter, May 1st, June 2nd, etc.

The savings afforded with the promotional tickets is not as great on this route, which is fairly short distance. So, there's somewhat less incentive to lock in beforehand.

If you decide to purchase the ticket at the airport, be sure to allow yourself enough time (10-15 minutes) to WALK to your connecting train at Termini Station. It's a walk of about 1000 yards.

When you arrive at the airport train station, you should be able to gage which Naples-bound train to take from Termini, in view of the departure times of the airporter trains to Termini. If you select an ES train (preferable), you'll automatically get seat reservations with the ticket, at no additional cost.

Print out the train timetable from the Trenitalia website, so you'll know what trains are available in case your plane arrives late, or you lose time going through passport control at the airport.

BTW, from Rome to Naples/Salerno, second class is perfectly fine, especially on the ES train. You can save your money for a good restaurant in Positano.