Train tickets -- Dijon to Beaune

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything more complicated and confusing than trying to buy train tickets in France?

With careful coaching from many posters, I've again managed to purchase and print PREM tickets. These are between Paris and Dijon. I also need to get tickets between Dijon and Beaune. I know these are "local" rather than the TGV trains and I know they do not offer PREMS on those routes. So the question is whether I need advance reservations for travel between Dijon and Beaune (and back). And if so, do I book those in the same way but plan to just pick up the tickets at the station, since they won't be printable?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:05 AM

No, you don't need advance reservations for that route, but you should probably visit a train station or SNCF boutique when you arrive in France and purchase them, or go online now and fill out the form to show that you'll pick them up on arrival in France.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Local trains like these rarely even have reservations possible - it's about a 30 minute train so like riding the RER in Paris - just buy your tickets before the train - you can always board and as the train probably starts in Dijon you should not have problems getting seats. I've ridden many of these trains and rarely are they very full - could be at workers rush hours perhaps - buy a return ticket.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
ira

ditto pal.

Check the schedules at SNCF

Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I wouldn't even bother to buy them ahead of time for a short, local train like that. And I have taken that train, there are tons of them and no need to buy in advance.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I had kind of pieced that together from what I read elsewhere, but there is that nagging doubt so I feel better for posing the question explicitly and getting your responses.