Train tickets delivered by Swiss Rail?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if can buy and have tickets delivered to the USA on the SBB Online web site? If so, do you know if they charge extra for delivery?
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I'm wondering why you want to do that instead of just getting tickets at the station. I know some of these online services charge a bit more than the stations there. I hope this isn't one of them. I went to Switzerland last summer and had no problem with tickets or finding seats. I was also planning on getting tickets in advance but didn't. I'm also glad I didn't pop for the first class fare too as I was also planning. 2nd class was just fine and I had more money to spend in restaurants.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Jeff: I purchased tickets last summer through SBB Online and, yes, they did delivered them to me in the US. Sorry, but I have no recollection of whether they charged extra for it. (They probably did because they were delivered by a service like FedEx, but it was not FedEx.)<BR><BR>I got them in advance because I was traveling from Lausanne to Paris on a Saturday with my kids, which I was told was a busy time. It was worth it, for the peace of mind, to know that I got on the train I wanted.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have a tight connection between plane and train, and don't want to get caught in a line at the station--between CDG and TGV. Otherwise, it would make sense to just book on the SNCF website and pick it up there. Also, according to SNCF, there are no discount fares available on this route. So I think I'd get the same fare with SBB Online.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:51 PM

I recently purchased some tickets at SBB and was charged 40 sf (I think that may be around $30) for delivery to the US. Priority mail was the only option. It seems steep but we purchased these for the same reason--not enought time in the station between trains.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:09 PM

My experience was similar to Rocco's.<BR>The priority mail is so that the SBB knows you got the tickets.<BR>
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:39 AM

We also purchased tickets online from SBB. I cannot recall how much we paid to have them delivered to our address in the US, but they arrived safely and were accurate.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. It still seems like a better deal the RailEurope.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:27 PM

RailEurope marks up the cost of their tickets. I guess you are considering the cost of having SBB send your tickets directly. Honestly, I cannot recall how much extra I was charged for delivery, but I would not have ordered directly from SBB if the total cost for tickets and delivery was more than RailEurope.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Swiss Rail returned my email: Shipping is CHF 42 (about $31)with a delivery time of 3 business days.Thanks,you were right. Assume that's for one or more tickets, but not sure. Anyway, I really only need one ticket to avoid lines, etc. at the airport.