Reload this Page >

Train Seat Reservations

Search

Train Seat Reservations

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Dee

Train Seat Reservations

We are traveling with another family through Europe next month. There will be 7 of us all together. I need to know if you actually need the railpass in hand to make a seat reservation in Europe. We will be arriving in Europe 5 days before the other family and possibly could book the seat reservations then for all of us. Unless, of course, we need the other family's railpass. Help, anyone?? Also, for the experienced railpass travelers out there, should we have any concerns about seat reservations for our group of 7 (we do wish to all sit together, or in same area at least)? Will 3-4 days before the first day of travel be sufficient to book the legs that need reservations? This is for travel in Germany and Italy next month, June. Thanks for your help. <BR>Dee<BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:51 PM
Jim

You may want to book your reservations in US so you can all sit together. good luck.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:29 PM
Rex

I don't know the answer to your question; it will not be difficult to take a few minutes to get an answer at any rail office.<BR><BR>But book the reservations from the US? On raileurope.com ?? - - only if you want to pay an obscene overcharge to do so - - or at least, I am pretty sure that you will do so.<BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:00 PM
Dee

Thanks Rex for your reply. Yes, you are absolutely right. To reserve from the US will cost an obscene amount - $10 apiece. I sure would like to know if I could make reservations for our friends along with our reservations when we arrive in Europe. They are arriving 5 days later and we will meet up with them after the first train ride. Anyone?<BR><BR>Dee

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:15 PM
Kay

Dee,<BR>one thing that might help, all IC trains we travelled on in Italy this year were compartment type trains, with 6 seats (3 facing another 3) per compartment. You might want to book 4 seats on one compartment, 3 in another. Eurostar trains in Italy were two seats facing two seats all down the aisle, with four seats across the train. Not much room for luggage on any trains in Italy at all, so pack light.<BR>We often saw people sitting in other people's reserved seats but they usually moved when this was pointed out. <BR>Kay

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:18 PM
Liz

Dee- try www.euraide.com to make reservations from the US. There's a flat fee, then a small charge per reservation.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:25 PM
ppp

The last time we had rail passes was almost a century ago ... In those days, a pass was good on all trains without having to pay any supplements. We have reserved a couple of times (normally we just winged it) at a tourist agency and I don't remember being asked to show the passes. I have no idea if your pass is good (without having to pay supplements) when travelling in certain trains (ICE in Germany and ES in Italy). <BR><BR>Anyway, were I on your shoes, I wouldn't worry too much. Either you may reserve (and you're in business) or not (which is IMO not the end of the world). If reservations aren't allowed (in principle) without showing the passes, you may have better luck doing at a travel agency than train station (in Italy, for sure). But I would bet that you'll be able to reserve for all of you by eventually just showing part of the passes, specially if you have also to pay a supplement.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:26 PM
Dee

Thanks Rex for your reply. Yes, you are absolutely right. To reserve from the US will cost an obscene amount - $10 apiece. I sure would like to know if I could make reservations for our friends along with our reservations when we arrive in Europe. They are arriving 5 days later and we will meet up with them after the first train ride. Anyone?<BR><BR>Dee

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:17 PM
Sue

Dee, I honestly can't remember if we had to show all the passes or not, but it seems to me we did. But I just had a brilliant idea—why don't you take their railpasses with you. They won't need them till they get there.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:05 PM
Dee

Sue, Your idea won't work because they will be using their passes before we see them. Thanks, Dee