Italy in late May

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:21 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in late May

I am planning a trip into Zurich and out of Milan in late May. I will train to Venice on a Monday of the last week of May. Although I don't intend to buy a ticket before I leave the U.S., I would like an opinion on whether or not I should pay the extra to have a reservation from Milan to Venice or take chances on sitting on one of the jump seats. Is that usually a busy line? There are lots of trains per day.
Thanks. PK
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Pay for the reservation. I did that trip in the opposite direction a couple of years ago, and it wasn't a eurostar. No reservations. And there weren't even any jump seats available. It was either stand, or crouch down on that filthy floor. It was awful!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Jump seats? I don't know what those are and didn't see any. As far as I know it's either sit in a regular seat, or stand. Milan to Venice is a popular run. No one can give you a guarantee; whatever the odds are of your being able to have a seat without a reservation, how would you feel if you end up without one?
I'd reserve a seat, and I'd do it at least a day before.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:43 AM
RAR

By jump seat I think he's referring to the seats that are the pull-down ones in the aisles of the IC/EN trains with compartments.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:48 AM

that explains it, I've taken ES trains
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:05 PM

I totally agree with the other posters. We did the Milan-Venice trip last summer. Our Eurostar got cancelled, and we wound up on the regular train which didn't have a seat to be spared. Unless you're willing to stand for nearly three hours, I'd make the reservation.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 02:13 AM

Reserve the ticket - I have stood the entire ride and it is not fun! There are lots of trains each day but they fill up that time of year. Have fun!