Search

train schedules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train schedules

Please give me the web sites for Europe train scedules/fares. The one that keeps popping into my queries will not allow me to inquire into a one way only.
thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:47 PM

This is the one I've used in the past, but sometimes fares aren't available depending on the route selection. I don't know why.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:11 PM

The link listed below will take you to a web site that presents an icon for every national rail system in Europe.

Of the group, the German site (listed above) is normally very reliable and complete. The Swiss site at www.sbb.ch is also excellent for Western Europe.

For Eastern Europe, I use the Austrian site, the ÖBB, but unfortunately much of that site is in German only. There is enough English, however, to get schedules if language is a limitation.

The Trentalia site is good for Italy and other nations as well.

Usually, for Western and Central Europe I check two sites: the German (as listed above) and the Swiss.

In all, it depends on what I need as to which site I have.

The Danish site is probably the poorest. I recall I emailed them once and, by golly, the person who responeded referred me to www.öbb.at - the Austrian national rail site for the train schedule from Copenhagen to Hamburg.

I went instead to the German site for that data.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:31 PM

PS

Some of the sites do not give international fares. HOWEVER, the German site will sometimes (not always) give fares for trips that originate or terminate in Germany as far as the original train goes.

I haven't had much luck with the Austrian site on international prices or the Swiss.

Sometimes you can look up all the stops a train makes and try to approximate the cost by using the cost closest to the border by looking at the appropriate national site.

It is a tricky business at times.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM

I think Bob is thinking of a site with a page full of direct links, but I don't have that site. However, www.eurail.com does have the URLs of most national rail websites. You find them by clicking on Travel Information > Travel by train > European Railways.

As he said, most national rail websites give fares for connections that start and/or end in their country. The only place I have found German Rail not to have fares is for night trains.

Swiss Rail has fares immediately for connections entirely within Switzerland. For "international" connections, you have to make a request for a quote and they will email you the fare in 1-2 days.

The only websites you can depend on for accurate fares are the national rail website.

Would you please tell me what site you have been using that only allows RT queries.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:07 PM

The Czech and Polish websites, www.cd.cz and www.pkp.pl give fares only to the last stop in their country, so for fares between them you get a short "fare gap".
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM

OOPS. I FORGOT to include the link to the site I started talking about. Too many interruptions and too many basketball games!

Here it is without farther ado:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/frameset.html

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:47 PM

PS Click on LINKS when you access the railfaneurope site. That is where all the icons are. DEU is Deutschland or Germany, and CHE is Switzerland.

I'll get this right yet, if I have to do it over.

Good thing the teacher is not grading me on this one. I would not get an A+.

(The Teacher has no reference to the guy in The da Vinci Code. What was his name, Teabag or something? I remember he served Earl Grey tea with lemon.)
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi C,

You can get a good estimate of fares by entering your whole itinerary, or indiviual legs, at www.railsaver.com.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I've been using the German rail website lately (www.bahn.de) and they never include fares for the trips I've been searching that start in Germany but end in Poland.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Christina,
where are you trying to go? Is it all a single connection starting in Germany? I have found fares for those on Bahn.de.

Or are there additional connections in Poland. If so, you won't get fares for the entire trip from DB, but you should be able to get the Germany to Poland part from them and the Polish legs at www.pkp.pl. It will be in Polish currency (Zolty?) but you can convert it as Oanda.com.

There are special fares for online purchase 3 days in advance: Berlin to Wroclaw for €19, to Krakow for €29.

[email protected]
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou to all of you for the help
Bob Brown - this is the site that I was in and it would not let me advance with out return info. This time tho, I was able to get the info needed.
Ira - that site will be great once we get all legs of our journey planned. We are unsure what type of pass to buy as will be doing most of our travel in a month via rail. Thanks again, colleenbee