COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

train schedule in zurich/suggestions for zurich

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:48 AM
julie

i am going to be flying into zurich in early june. my flight arrives at 7:45 am and i was wondering if it will be possible to catch the 9:07 train to lugano or should i just wait for the 10:07 or the 11:07 am trains???
also, i will be spending a day in zurich and i was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i could do. i have two teenage daughters with me and we're all up for just about anything. price does not really matter but i'd prefer something reasonable. thanks for any suggestions!

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Kathy

Catching the earliest train really depends on your luck at the airport. The trains in Switzerland are amazing. They leave precisely when scheduled and arrive on time. The Swiss trains and the Japanese trains are by far the best train systems I've ever ridden on.

If you're spending the day in Zurich, you might want to just wander around the city and check out the sights. You could probably take a half day tour or wander yourselves. Another option would be to take a ride on the Lake. If you arrive on a Sunday, expect to find every store closed (except for those in the Main Train Station).

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:30 AM
s

julie,

I'm going to say yes, you'll catch the 9.07 out of Zurich. Of course, as Kathy notes, a lot of the timing will depend on how busy the desks are at the airport -- as well as how many passengers get out of the airplane ahead of you. But there's no need to panic or push ahead -- I've gotten to the train platforms within 20 minutes, no kidding, 20 minutes of landing.

One option you may want to check out is to check your luggage through from your departure US airport all the way to Lugano. I think RailEurope sells these forms online for about $15 per bag, and they include customs at the airport and rail transport. The bag may arrive at Lugano some hours after you do, but you'll breeze through customs at the airport without waiting for your bag at the carrousel. I did this once when travelling with my mother, and it worked like a charm.

s

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:33 AM
s

julie,

Sorry, forgot to add --

You'll probably have time to find the grocery stores at the airport train station, which you must do! Buy cheese, ham, bread, chocolate, yogurt, water (wine!!), and enjoy the scenery! The grocery stores at the station also have small spoons near the yogurt -- everything is easy!

s

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:18 AM
jw

s' are you still there? If so, can you give julie walking directions to the airport train station and its grocery store? My memory is fading and I'll enjoy reading your narration to julie -- thanks!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 06:22 AM
s

jw,

You'd laugh if you only knew what you were asking!

On one of my arrivals, armed with the kind of precise and detailed information that results from research of everything and anything Swiss, I had a map of the airport train station with the grocery store clearly marked. Upon landing and collecting my bag, I trotted confidently to the train station and began consulting my map. Rolling my bag and consulting my map. Rolling my bag and consulting my map. Rolling my bag and consulting my map. I believe I ran around the shopping center three times before I gave up!

Of course, as I rounded one corner, I found the grocery store and stocked up. And, of course again, as I got to the train station, I found the huge grocery store that was my destination all the time. But too late!

Those maps no longer exist (I guess that's a good thing!). When the Zurich airport management shifted to "Unique," those detailed maps disappeared. You can get a list of shops, and you can get an overview of the terminals at www.uniqueairport.com, but there is no detailed map.

So anyway, julie, to get to the train station, exit the baggage claim area through the big doors, look to your left, and you'll see an escalator going down. There's a big sign showing a train. Go down the escalator (elevators are further left) and then follow the signs to the train station. As I recall, it's rather a hike down several corridors from Terminal B to the central platforms of the shopping area & train stations. But it's well signed (is that a word?) and relatively easy if you have rolling luggage and haven't worn yourself out walking in circles already.

When you arrive at the big shopping plaza, the train station is one level below, with escalators down.

Well, there are two Marinello grocery stores at the airport: one at the "airport shopping plaza" called the "upper level," and one at the "bahnhof shopping plaza" called the "lower level." The "upper level airport shopping plaza" is still **down** the escalators from the baggage claim and down the very-long-hike corridor; but it is above the train station's shopping plaza. You can actually get some information at the Marinello website, www.marinello.ch. Click on the photo to the right ("Comustibles" I think???) and find the link to the airport's two stores.

It sounds very confusing but really it isn't. The short version is: leave the baggage claim area, go down the escalators, and go down the corridors. You'll come to the shopping plaza and the grocery store is prominent. Continue following signs for the trains, go down again, and you'll see another shopping plaza with the larger grocery store.

Clear?

A last reminder, I usually get to the train platform with groceries in hand just 30 minutes after landing. It's much easier than it sounds. Next time I'll make my own map.

s

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:37 AM
jw

Perfect! I copied it to my file for future ref. By the way, is that the airport with the old airplanes hanging from the ceiling?