COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trying to reserve Golden Pass scenic car seats

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:22 AM
Geo

I wanted to make a reservation online for the Golden Pass train leaving Montreux at 16:26, I would arrive in Murren at 20:27 on June 24th. I tried both the Golden Pass website and the Swiss train website. Neither gave me the option to reserve for that time. I only saw an option for a train leaving Montreux at around 14:00.

Will I have better luck if I reserve in Europe? I will be in Barcelona, Amsterdam and Paris before Montreux.

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:34 AM
s

Hi Geo,

I just tried to get your trains at www.rail.ch and got error messages. I also tried at bahn.de and saw that no online purchase is possible. You seem to be stuck!

Well, not really. Although there is no on-line option at www.mob.ch (the rail line that runs the Montreux-Zweisimmin part of this route), there is an option to send an e-mail and there are some phone numbers to call. If I were you, I would send an e-mail asking to purchase tickets & reservations and then follow up with a fax with cc info. Then you can pick up the tickets at the train station when you arrive in Montreux. Alternately, you can e-mail your Montreux hotel's concierge to see if he/she can get this done for you.

Please let us know how this turned out!

s

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:22 AM
s

Geo,

I found another way for you to purchase tickets & reservations online -- but only to Interlaken.

It's through RailEurope, who usually adds hefty surcharges (that may be worthwhile if it buys you peace of mind).

Anyway, go to www.myswitzerland.com, then find the box on the left-middle side of the screen that says "Swiss Products" and "Buy Swiss Rail Products" underneath. When you click on that, you'll get a new window by RailEurope. Go to "Golden Pass Line," then "Book Now" and enter "Montreux - Interlaken." You'll find the connection you want (DO NOT use the "Direct" connection) under "via Zweisimmin & Spiez" at 16.26, arriving in Interlaken at 19.28. RailEurope charges $59 for first-class seats and $38 for 2nd on this train, then $11 for seat reservations.

So, if all else fails and if you really want to have these in-hand before you go, RailEurope is an option.

s

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:22 AM
Geo

I went to Raileurope.com. There is a train leaving Montreux at 16:26 but it seems to be a regular train as opposed to the scenic one. Has anyone taken the regular train on the Golden Pass route? Is the ride very different from the scenic train? According to their website the last scenic train leaves at around 14:00 but I wanted to relax a couple of hours in Montreux on my way from Paris.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:53 AM
s

Hello Again,

The route of the regular train (via Zweisimmin) is exactly the same as the Golden Pass -- the only difference is the panoramic windows (roof & sides) in the cars. I've taken the regular train and thought the views stunning -- I really didn't notice having to crane my neck . . .

But your train (16.26) *is* a panoramic one. At the Rail Europe site, that train is listed as TRN 29, so I went to www.rail.ch, got to your schedule, and saw that train listed as D29, with the code PA next to it. The notes show that it is (or has) a panoramic coach. I also clicked on the train to get its details, and that screen also shows the train to have a panoramic coach.

By the way, the Swiss Rail site is now working and shows the 2nd class fare as 50 chf. But, as you say, I don't see any way to reserve a seat online.

s

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:46 AM
Geo

Thank you for all your great help. I'm beginning to think that it's too much trouble trying to get into the front and back "VIP" seats of the scenic train. I think I'll just wait until I reach Europe to make my reservations and take whatever seats they have. I have enough on my plate with my wedding coming up next weekend.

Thanks again!!!!