Train safety in Spain?

Search

Train safety in Spain?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train safety in Spain?

My daughter and I are flying on 30 March to Sevilla for 4 days via London with plans to take AVE train to Madrid for 3 days prior to flying home. My family is concerned about any train travel in Europe in view of recent happenings and would like advise it we should avoid trains & omit Madrid altogether?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Isabelle,

Only you can answer the question as to what sort of travel you are comfortable with. Personally, I would ride the train and visit Madrid. Hope your trip is wonderful - whatever your decide.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:34 PM

Hmmm...There has been a bombing in a train in Madrid. But there have also been plane hijacked in the US. So, you could as well be worried about flying. Most people are also going to tell you that you're much more likely to be killed in a road accident in your hometown than killed in a terrorist attack anywhere. So, apart from a few countries where a traveller might actually be at high risk (and these countries aren't discussed on this board, usually), it doesn't make much sense, *logically* to worry about such things.

Now, this kind of fears aren't rationnal and can't necessarily be thought away. So, I would say : you shouldn't worry, but if you think you're nevertheless going to worry, you should probably go somewhere else rather than having miserable vacations.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:01 PM
ira

Hi Isabelle,

For the next few months Spanish trains are going to be the world's safest form of travel. You might even find the security excessive.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:06 PM

isabelle, nobody know the future...

Just cross your fingers and hope for the best and dont think about it.

Bon voyage...
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Singletail

I would like to know just where Ira is getting this "information" and what concrete procedures have been put into place in Spain...so far, I have seen little other than some talk about possibly cordoning off luggage areas and having some "armed guards" strolling around. Perhaps he can enlighten us...
I would not hesitate to go to Spain or to ride the trains...it was an unfortunate incident and it has passed...for you not to go is exactly what these people want....

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Actually I doubt there will be any attacks in Spain for a while, since Al Qaeda achieved their current aims there. On to the next country and the next target.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM

If it makes you feel any better, there's a security screening (with an X-ray machine just like at the airport) for the AVEs.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Art

Since the terrorist won their objective in Spain, they would be really stupid to attack Spain again right now. Probably the safest democracy in the world right now.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 09:09 PM

Isabelle:

Before my hubby and I went to Spain on our big trip the ETA was very active, bombing this, that and the other and there was a large bombing in Morocco etc.

We went anyway and through God's grace here we are.

Our families were beside themself with sheer worry. We even told my mom that we would delete Morocco so that she would stop crying...REALLY.

Well, we did not and she eventually forgave us for not being forthright with her. I will not say that our travel to Morocco was event free...but?

While in the Basque region we were just fine although many were skipping this area and telling us how foolish we were.

Had a ball!

If you want to know what did actually happen along our 2.5 month journey click on my name and pull up my Trip Report to Spain and More. It is in 8 parts so take your time as you calm your nerves and get some laughs and shocks from our trip. Maybe print it for later...

Families are wonderful. How nice to have people who care. You have a couple of days before you leave.

Ask for their blessings and good wishes and to please know that you would not intentionally walk into harms way.

Enjoy your trip!
Oaktwon Traveler
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for such thoughtful responses, all very positive. We look forward to our stay in Spain and we will be visiting Madrid via the AVE train.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:07 AM

IF I said yes does that mean you would avoid madrid and trains? if your afraid then stay home and lock your doors, otherwise go and enjoy what spain has to offer.