Train or Metro? One in the Same?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm a tad confused.....are the trains in Amsterdam the same as the 'Metro'?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM

The metro may refer to streetcars that run within the city, from, for example, Central Station to Leidseplein, and trains are intercity.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Amsterdam has:
trams running on streets throughout town
a metro that runs currently on one line from the centrum to the suburbs
and regular trains, coming from other cities to Amsterdam that also stop at several secondary commuter stations. there is a ring railway with trains and for most of its length a metro parallels the train line. If you pose a more exact question i can give you a better answer but the there are three different types of rail systems. Railpasses will be good only on the trains. Amsterdam Central station is not always the best destination for rail travelers as Station Zuid-WTC or Station-RAI about three miles south of the town center may be better for some, or Amstel Station or Muiderport Station on the east side.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:40 AM

<u>http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/ams/amsterdm.htm</u>

Metro = combination of underground subway and aboveground trains (sneltram);

different than the tram system...
<u>http://world.nycsubway.org/eu/nl/amsterdam.html</u>
Centraal Station is the terminal point for 11 of the 17 tram lines (and 3 of the 4 Metro/Sneltram lines).
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi all - Thank you for the quick responses.

PalQ - Here are the directions given on my hotel's website. I was a little confused because it says take the train to....and then take the underground to.... and the last time I was in Amsterdam I only remember a train, a tram and a trolley. Thanks again for everyone's help!

From the airport, you can take the train to Amsterdam Duivendrecht, then take the underground 50-51 to Amsterdam/Amstel. Get off at Over Amstel station. Leave the station and walk towards the crossroads; cross the crossroads. The hotel is 50 meters down the road, on the right, just below the viaduct. The underground departs every 10 minutes. The easiest way to get around Amsterdam is on foot, or via the reliable tram service.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:53 AM

From Schiphol Airport you take the train, a few steps from the customs exits, to Amsterdam Duivendrecht station - this is NOT the train to Centraal Station (C.S.) but the train that goes via Amsterdam Zuid (WTC) and Amsterdam RAI stations and the next stop i think is Duivendrecht - a new station in the midst of a new town being built - Duivendrecht has an interchange with the Metro line so you take this metro line to Amstel Station (&quot;Over Amstel&quot; is obviously the metro station name in this larger station, which is both a train and metro station, from where you walk to your hotel. Trains leave Schiphol every 20 mins or so will take you about 30 mins to Amstel station. Again from Schiphol there are two different trains running to Amsterdam - one that goes to Centraal Station, this one you do not want, and the other going to Zuid, RAI and Duivendrecht - look at overhead sign by train entrance as there are several tracks and look at overhead signs on the tracks. By tickets at ticket window or at the automatic ticket machines. Very easy really. Tot Ziens!

Duivendrecht
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM

BEWARE of the pickpockets at Duivendrecht..they are legendary.