Train or Drive from Venice to Rome

Mar 9th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Train or Drive from Venice to Rome

I saw a post regarding the benefits of train travel vs. flying between Venice and Rome. We will have a rental car that we are using from Rome to Siena/Tuscany/Cinque Terra...and then heading to Venice. We will be in Venice 2 nights and then have to head back to Rome to fly back to the States.

Was looking at 2 options:
1. Park car outside of Venice while staying there for 2 nights and then driving back to Rome (the day before we fly out of Rome).
2. Turn rental car in Venice early and then take train from Venice to Rome.

Looked at benefits of returning rental car in Venice: minimal savings on rental car due to weekly rates, etc. Savings on gas/tolls; savings by avoiding parking fees in Venice; less stress of driving and returning rental car in Rome

Any suggestions on which route to take and what might be missed on not driving... and any insight on the ease and length of the drive from Venice to Rome? (I'm leaning toward the train option.)

Thank you.
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I would recommend taking the train from Rome to Cinque Terre. Pick up car in Pisa an your way to Siena/Tuscany. Keep the car for duration of Tuscany stay. Drop off car in Florence and take the train to Venice and then back to Rome.

There is absolutely no need for a car in either Cinque Terre nor in Venice. Any scenery you would miss by taking the train would be more than made up for by the savings in cost and agrevation associated with driving.

Also, I would consider taking the midnight sleeper train out of Venice to Rome that gets into Rome at 7:00 AM. This would give you another entire day in Venice, which could come in handy for you since you will only be in Venice for 2 nights.

You can get a private double for 139 EUR, probably less than what you would pay for a cheap hotel in Rome. For 210 EUR you can get a cabin with a toilette, shower and wash basin. Both include the cost of the ticket and reservation.
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM

as for return to Rome from Venice - for all the reasons you list the train is a no-brainer. Takes about 5 hours - i think the overnight train leaves around midnight so you'd have to wait until then to leave.
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM

I would like to propose another option that worked for us last summer: we flew on Ryan Air from Rome to Venice. For the 5 of us, it was much less expensive than the train. Of course on the train you get to see the countryside etc. But we were short on time and really couldn't justify the money we would spend on the train. We spent 4 days in Venice and then flew on Ryan Air to Paris.
Mar 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
ira

Hi W,

As noted, you don't want your car on the CT or Venice.

It's about 4:30 hr from Venezia San Lucia to Rome TE. Take the train.