Train or car for 2 weeks in Italy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are spending a little over 2 weeks in Italy in March. We love Italy, don't really like trains (because even with light luggage they seem exhausting), but also don't like driving in Italy. We love driving in other countries, but not in Italy. Oh well, that's us. But we'll do either on this trip, obviously, or I wouldn't be posting this. Here's our itinerary:

3 days in Rome
4 days in Orvieto
4 days in Assisi
4 days in Siena
Back to Rome, then airport.

Orvieto, Assisi and Siena will be thoroughly enjoyed, but we plan on day trips from those places as well. Taking the train or bus for daytrips seems fine, no luggage. Also we'd like to get to Gubbio, which I understand is a difficult travel undertaking. Should we chuck the train and just rent a car out of Rome???
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:48 AM

no. seems silly to bother with the car when everywhere you are going can easily be reached with public transort.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:55 AM

I'd rent a car for Gubbio and assorted daytrips. Umbria and Tuscany are best seen by car.

But I wouldn't rent the car in Rome. Maybe take the train to Orvieto, visit that town, then pick up the car upon leaving. (There's still car rental in Orvieto, isn't there?)

4 days in Orvieto is a long time, even with a car. It's located up high on a mesa-like formation and wouldn't be the ideal location for making daytrips.

Is your itinerary set in stone? Lots of us like southern Tuscany, around Montepulciano/Pienza/San Quirico d'Orcia/Montalcino. Beautiful area and Pienza and San Quirico make good daytrip bases.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:00 AM

As noted, everywhere you are going can easily be reached by public transit. However, if you plan to venture outside of the towns you have listed to explore the countryside, it is not so easy. It is more difficult to set your own pace as you are tied to bus or train schedules.

If you get a car, plan to take the train from Rome to Orvieto and pick up the car there, drop it off in Siena and train back to Rome.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:02 AM
J62

Since you plan to take day trips in Tuscany & Umbria it seems advantageous to have a car so you can explore at your leisure. I would rent a car when needed @ Orvieto, and return in Siena after your last day trip.

Then I'd bus from Siena to Rome. If you are going straight to the airport after Siena then I'd keep the car & return at Rome airport.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your feedback. No, I'm not locked into Orvieto -- does anyone else have experience basing themselves here and taking daytrips?? Rick Steves does list transportation connections, I think - not home near my travel books now.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:55 AM

I cannot imagine that itinerary without a car for Tuscany/Umbria. And, I see those 12 days as only 2 locations and not 3. I would locate in mid-Umbria--perhaps Bevagna or Spello for Umbria-- and Siena is fine for Tuscany. One of those may be a weekly rental to save $$$.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:30 AM
ira

Hi F,

Orvieto-Assisi=Siena is less than 100 miles.

It looks to me as if you are planning a 12-day motor trip.

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM

I've done all those place without a car...I just find travel more relaxing without dealing with a car...now...that said, I actually almost always DO rent a car now...but only becasue I am travelling with a family to off-the-beaten-path places...otherwise, no car for me ;-) Not saying you can't or shouldn't....just that it relaly sould be bases on HOW much you hate trains vs. HOW much you hate driving !! All those areas are super do-able by public transport...so I really think it is just a matter of personal preference (!) and budget - a car will cost more.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all,
I think we'll stick with trains and buses. We like to linger in places and also dislike rushing, therefore the 4-nights decision. But I am rethinking Orvieto as a base. Does everyone agree there are better places to base oneself??
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM

We stayed in Perugia and were able to easily visit Assisi (20 mins by train) and Gubbio (1 hr or so by direct bus). I think Cortona would also be an option.